Grammer / Grammar !!

natalie&jake said:
Xena said:
My MIL mixes up learn and teach ALL the time, and DH does it sometimes too.

e.g. The teacher learnt our Emma some new things in school today.

AARRGGHHHH!!!

My sister gets lend and borrow mixed up. She asks if I can borrow her something :roll: I always correct her

oh yeh I forgot about that one. I've known people that do this. Drives me bonkers!

monster_munch said:
Xena said:
My DH gets F and TH the wrong way round quite a lot. I don't mean that he says things like fink, but I mean he'll say 'fieth' instead of 'thief'.

I do the exact same thing!
The problem is the more I think about it the worse I get. I'll say thief in my head, then go 'no, that's wrong' and correct it to fieth! :doh:

I don't know why I do that. I have some hearing problems which my husband thinks is the reason why as I tend to lip read alot - but 'F' and 'TH' look very different when lipreading so surely I should have no problem!

So glad I'm not the only one though. Your husband and I must set up a support group Xena :D

I'll let him know he has found a kindred spirit lol

People who say ''Kekkle'' instead of Kettle drives me mad.

Xena said:
My MIL mixes up learn and teach ALL the time, and DH does it sometimes too.

e.g. The teacher learnt our Emma some new things in school today.

AARRGGHHHH!!!

Yes, this really bugs me too. I come from the south and have RP pronounciation, but I live in Sunderland now. My darling OH (who is well educated) and other locals always say 'That'll learn you' instead of 'that'll teach you.' or 'I won you' instead of 'I beat you.' etc. It drives me insane!! I love most of the regional dialect, but this does annoy me a little!!
As an English teacher, grammar and spelling does jump out at me; however, I am also the worst culprit for silly mistakes, especially when tired or typing a post in a hurry. So I say 'he who is without sin cast the first stone!' As long as I get the drift of the post, I don't care.

Add me to the "I hate Txtspk" list :)

I love this passage dedicated especially for those to whom "spelling doesn't matter" :

what if you decided that the letter "c" should be dropped from the alphabet and should be replased by either the letter "k" or "s" and also that the letter "x" should be removed? The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation.

Then you might decide to reform the use of the letter "w" so that "which" and "one" take the same konsonant, and you might replase "y" with "i" and fiks the g/j anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally then, the improvement would kontinue iear bi iear bi doing awai with useless double konsonants and modifiing vowiz and rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants.

It wud finali be posibl tu meik use ov the ridandant letez "c" "y" and "x"; - bi now jast a memori in the mindz ov uold doderez - tu riplais "ch" "sh" and "th" rispektivli.

Finali, xen, afta sum 20 iears ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirent speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld."

I detest text speak, I really just dont see the point of it on a forum or in email! Honestly how much harder is it to type out the word "to" rather than "2", its just laziness.

I hate it when people capitalise every word in a sentence too, it looks stupid and makes it so hard to read that i just skip those posts on any forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back