• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Good baby care books

Bubalu

Reaction score
Hello,

Can you recommend any good books on baby care. I've heard of 'What to expect -first year'. Is that one any good? I don't want anything too preachy on a certain style of parenting but a balanced view of different approaches. Preferably a book that is written for UK so that it has information that is relevant too.

Thanks,
Lucy x

I have 'What to expect - the first year' and I think it's awful!!! It constantly suggests that you should use disposables instead of cloth as disposables are better :roll: It is really unclear about stages of development. I haven't found it helpful about anything but I have often read stuff that just didn't seem right. I'm thinking of burning it because it annoys me so much :twisted:

The little red book with all their charts and stuff that you get once baby is born is actually quite good.

And I might go check out the Jo Frost one - is she super nanny?

I have just bought the Jo Frost one and am really enjoying reading it. I did have to laugh when she suggests getting a doula/nanny in for the first couple of months after birth to assist you but only because that is not something I could afford :lol: On the whole it does seem really packed with information and is nice because it stresses that babies are all different and will develop at different rates although she does provide a very general timeline about what to expect from a babies development in the first year.

And yes she is the supernanny :D

kalia said:
I have 'What to expect - the first year' and I think it's awful!!! It constantly suggests that you should use disposables instead of cloth as disposables are better :roll: It is really unclear about stages of development. I haven't found it helpful about anything but I have often read stuff that just didn't seem right. I'm thinking of burning it because it annoys me so much :twisted:

I liked What to Expect: The First Year - but only dipped in and out and read things that I'd looked up specially. I recently spotted What to Expect, the Toddler Years in a bookshop and was shocked to find it very biased (in my view) of stopping b/feeding by 1 year old (i.e. by the time the book starts).

The more I think about it now, the more I now feel that all the What to Expect books are a bit biased towards certain ways of doing things and don't really give the positives and negatives and a balanced unopinionated view.

Valentine Xxx

I have the Jo Frost one and the What to expect one.

I like them both - Jo Frost one is almost advice that your mum might give.

What to expect in the first year - I personally love this as its more like a baby bible. If you want to know something about teething for instance, you just look it up in the back, and hey presto a chapter on it. I haven't found anything that I have wanted to know that wasn't in it yet. Having said that I haven't read it cover to cover, but for me it was well worth the money.

They are both written (what to expect has been adapted) for the UK market.

I bought both of them on Amazon as they were a lot cheaper.

If you can, why don't you go have a flick through them in your local book shop first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back