gonna start weaning UPDATE #2 (bottom of post)

Becky&Willow

Reaction score
im gonna start weaning willow tomorrow as i think it is about time she seems to moan after nearly every feed and i dont think i can hold it out any longer.

i was going to start her on baby rice for a few days, then add some fruit pruee to add a bit more flavour then will start her on things like carrot and banana purees ,does this sound about right. should i start giving her juice now and if i do should it be from the bottle or a drinking cup?

any advice greatly appriated (sp?)

UPDATE!!!

well i sterted weaning willow yesterday just gave her some baby rice and it went ok today went better though :cheer: i gave her 1/2 her milk then gave her some baby rice and she loved it, but i think i made it a bit to thick as she didnt want the rest of her bottle after :wall: .

did anyone else find that if you follw the instructions on the box it is very runny still, well i did so made it thicker (whereas yesterday is was to runny today was to thick) so tomorrow i should get right :pray: .

how mamy days did you have your little one on Baby rice before you started giving them things like carrott and potato etc.

UPDATE # 2

well i have been weaning willow for a week now and it has not gone to bad, she has mainly had baby rice but i have also given her pear which she loved and babyrice with apple in and baby rice with carrott in i tried to give her potato one day but she didnt take to it i think it was to gluey for her so will try that again at a later date, i am going to stick with this for anothe week then i am going to introduce breakfast.

how many ozs of milk do babys need at this stage i know once they are on 3 meals a day its about 17 ozs but i am guessing thats when they are 6 months. at the moment willow has 35ozs a day she has 5 7oz bottles. but at lunchtime she doesent take all that as she is having some solids now.
also when should i give her meals at a seperate time to her milk?

go for it! - just a little bit to start with when shes not too hungry then increase it as her appetite increases.
make sure she gets plenty of milk still and water/juice inbetween, Get a beaker from boots. Ine thats not non drip and easy for her to suck .

i would try her solids either in the morning or at night before she has her last milk feed.

i was going to start her at lunch time do you think her 9am ish feed would be better.

this weaning lark is tricky :wall: :shock:

well whenever you feel is right for you both !
have confidence in yourself chick! you'll be fine.

my hv said to start off with lunchtimes as it gives them a wee while before bedtime to digest it!

I'm just starting giving Austin solids. I'm trying BLW rather than going down the baby rice/puree route, but I'm not ruling anything out and seeing how we go. I think he's only a day younger than Willow.

I've been giving him finger foods in his high chair when we have our dinner, because I want to try to keep it consistent and OH wanted to be involved, so dinner time is the best time for us. He still has a couple of hours before he goes to bed and he seems to be going okay.

Good luck and have lots of fun!

I didnt i just started on the veg dloowed the book religlously

i got alice to 6 months before we started. (but she did have a chew on the odd bit of frozen stuff before for her gums).

i went down the blw route and im so glad i did!

My hv mentioned, that if you are offering something for the 1st time, not to offer it at dinner time, just incase they react to it.

once they get to 6 months its so much easier! alice has what ever we are having (chicken tika with salad this evening!).

Glad she is enjoying it! I don;t see why you couldn't start adding stuff now :think:

i gave luke baby rice for about 3 days and then started adding pear, apple and apricot to his baby rice. then i just gave him veg purees and when i knew he was comfortable with those tastes then i mixed them up to vary it.

i am now after about 4 weeks trying him with more lumpier foods like mashed bananna but he spits out the lumps but i will persevere, he is also trying finger foods like bits of cucumber and pieces of toast and cooked carrot sticks but most of it comes out at the moment.

its great fun i spend hours making purees in the evenings and we are trying things that we never eaten like i never had sweet potato or butternut squash and now me and OH love them too!

Same as Rusks really, introduced different things daily, and mixed anything she didnt like with baby rice to calm the taste down.

ALso tried some BLW, she has some type of finger food with every meal-toast or fruit etc and she has always coped really well chewing and swallowing. Its a bit scarey at first, and OH and both our mums wont give her finger foods when they are feeding her incase she chokes :roll: so she only has them with me...it takes ages for her to eat but its so much fun watching her explore her foods, and spread them all over the place :rotfl:

my hannah was 16lbs 40z a long while ago and shes grown so much im guessing shes now about 18-19lbs (shes almost grown out the nappies that are for up to 20lbs) - that is huge for a 3 and half month old.
shes had rusk for about a month now - its brill, half a rusk and a big bottle and she loves it and sleeps much longer.
this week i started on baby rice too, seems to enjoy it thoughly.

when it comes to age ect, i thing you as a parent knows when its time to wean...
my baby has already got 2 teeth!!! she waiting for some steak! lmao

Rubys mummy said:
OH and both our mums wont give her finger foods when they are feeding her incase she chokes :roll:

thats what people are like with alice... "ooo no, don't give her that she will choke" if she gaged on anything Oh would refuse to give it to her again :roll:

Sam&Alice said:
[quote="Rubys mummy":1ota3z4f]OH and both our mums wont give her finger foods when they are feeding her incase she chokes :roll:

thats what people are like with alice... "ooo no, don't give her that she will choke" if she gaged on anything Oh would refuse to give it to her again :roll:[/quote:1ota3z4f]

I've just started to give Brody finger foods and I'm just as bad as they are! :oops: I need to chill out a bit! :lol:

Becky how's it going? I just gave Brody rice for the first couple of days at teatime then started on veg and fruit purees then increased up to breakfast and tea then after a couple of weeks he was having breakfast dinner and tea. His milk feeds have not really decreased yet though! :shock:

I started offering him finger foods yesterday and not alot goes down but it's great fun to watch him try different things! :D

Keep us updated on how it's going! :)

I tried Nathan on baby rice a couple of times but he didn't like it so I started adding apple or carrot ect to the baby rice straight away.

its not going to bad see seems to enjoy the baby rice but i dont what to do for best at the moment i am giving her 1/2 her bottle then her baby rice but she wont take the rest of her bottle :wall: now i know its probably because she is full up, is there a better solution?

MMM :think: I'm not sure as I used to feed Brody until he pulled away then I'd offer him the rice and see if he was still hungry enough for it!

I just did exactly what the HV suggested to me but then again, they tell me something different most times I go! :lol:

I found with Nathan that I had to offer him his meal inbetween bottles or he wouldn't have it. I'd let him take his full bottle then a couple of hours later he would have his solids. Its a bit of trail and error when you 1st start weaning I found as to whens best to offer it. all 3 of mine have been different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back