going for promotion while pregnant?

prunella1

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new on here, have just found out I'm pregnant yesterday and still feeling totally overwhelmed by it all. Having spent all day yesterday examining myself for early symptoms, I then spent a couple of hours in the night sleeping on the bathroom floor, trying not to be sick.

I have a moral dilemma connected to going for potential promotion at work. I'm a teacher and over the past few months have put a lot of effort into contributing to the life of the school in several notable ways - both linked to my department and in extra-curricular areas. This has not gone unnoticed - my head of department, the deputy head and the head have all commented on my efforts and complimented me on my successes.

This pregnancy is planned, though we had only been trying for three weeks - it's my first, and I know things might not be plaing sailing even from here. However, I have also actively been seeking promotion at work, making it clear to the head that I want to progress. A number of opportunities are about to come up in more than one area that I am interested in and I have made it clear that I would be interested to be considered for two posts in particular. The only female senior teacher in the school has been fighting my corner for promotion, she also knows off the record that I want a family soon and even advised me to start trying now!

A long-winded background! Sorry. I am struggling with the moral dilemma of applying for a job and then telling them I am pregnant and potentially creating bad feeling among colleagues if they think I applied when I knew I was pregnant. On the other hand, I know I could do a good job for the rest of this school year, I need the money and I also will then have responsibility when I am working part-time - if I don't go for it now, I may not have another opportunity for a while, as being part-time may make a difference to my ability to apply for jobs when they come up in the future.

Has anyone got any advice for me, please? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back