Glucose Tolerance Test?

Snuggle

Reaction score
Hi girls,
At my last MW appointment I had very high sugar levels in my wee and have to have a GTT on 4th Feb. I know whats involved in the test but if it comes back positive for gestational diabetes then what happens? :hug:

im not sure but i think they may sort out a diet plan that is low in sugar and maybe give you insulin, thats just a guess though hugs :hug:

Thank you hun, if I needed insulin is there a way to take it without injecting? (I'm terrified of needles) :hug:

I have to have this too, and I found this when I was looking in to what it all meant if I do have gestational diabetes (the 'treatment' bit is the most relevant bit - sadly, I think injections are the only option for insulin, but I think it's rare to need them with GD) -

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/203/main.html#TreatmentofGestationaldiabetes

Hope that helps :hug:

PS - good luck with your scan on Saturday!! :cheer:

Thank you Chopsie, that was really helpful :hug: I could do with eating better TBH :oops:

I had nooo appetite at all in tri 1, but since a couple of weeks ago, my appetite is back with a vengeance! I thought I'd been eating quite well, but then the other night I polished off a whole tub of Haagen Dazs, barely pausing for breath between spoonfuls :oops:

It was like I'd been possessed by some mad pregnancy demon!

:lol: I've been the same the last 2 weeks. I cant stop eating and hubby cant believe how much I can wolf down :oops: I'm drinking gallons of pop and eating loads of chocolate which is really bad :hug:

good luck with the gtt if you have any questions ask away as ive had gd with both of my pregnancys so if you need to know anything im sure i can help you :hug: :hug: :hug:

Snuggle said:
Hi girls,
At my last MW appointment I had very high sugar levels in my wee and have to have a GTT on 4th Feb. I know whats involved in the test but if it comes back positive for gestational diabetes then what happens? :hug:

Just wanted to give you these :hug: :hug: :hug: and say good luck for Wednesday week.

They will refer you to your local hospital consultant led team, they will send you to a dietician who will basically tell you what you should/shouldnt be eating - i can tell you now, the chocolates got to go!! you will have to go on a very strict no sugar diet, it gets very boring i am afraid! hopefully you will be able to make a bit difference with changing your diet, it made no difference for me as i had been on a good diet anyway so i ended up on insulin but thats really the last thing they will do - i had it bad so had no alternative,

They will usually ask you to check your blood sugar several times a day to begin with with a little finger prick machine so i would try and get over your needle phobia sharpish! i am sure you will be fine its your babies health you have to think of after all :hug: :hug:

Thank you for replies girls, here's hoping its not diabetes, I couldnt be without choccie :oops: (of course I would for baby's sake though) :hug:

Hopefully it wont come to it but boots do a diabetic chocolate which is ok just dont eat too much otherwise you will be in the loo all night :rotfl:

I was once pre diabetic and i turned that around by cleaning up my diet, but the biggest change i made was i gave up full fat cola on the food side and i think that alone made all the difference. I lost 70lbs but obviously we cant diet now but maybe take up a new exercise regime would help. If you can control it through diet and exercise rather than Insulin thats got to be for the best.

I still have chocolate (i would avoid diabetic choccy cos it will give you bad tummy pains and you dont want that while pregnant)

A diabetic diet would also help (google one)

Thank you very much for the replies, I'm going to start eating better and hope all is ok on the day of the test :hug:

i have to have this next thurs. at my last midwife appointment i had glucose and ketones in my urine and she told me i would def have to have the test. i knew i would anyway cos my brothers are both insulin dependent diabetics and they want to keep an eye on me!

giuving up choc prob wont be a problem for me as it gives me heartburn everytime i eat it anyway!

Hey love, god your 16 weeks already?!

If (worse case scenario) you do have to inject insulin the needles are so fine you barely feel them, they dont hurt at all.

I'm sure it'll be fine and I think they usually try to control it with diet

I had the test a few weeks back.

It involves fasting from midnight the night before, going to the hospital first thing, they take blood and urine, and then make you drink a measured amount of Lucozade, sit for 3 hours and do nothing ! then take blood agian ! and thats it !

Mine came back clear! it was a horrible consulatant took one look at me and thought shes a bigger lady she must be diabetic ! he was very wrong ! thank good ! I did have no signs ! and midwifes said I didnt really need the test !

I was told that i have to have this test (booked for some time in April) she said they will just look at my diet. My cousin had this though and they told her that theyd make sure baby didnt over her due date as it wasnt very good for either of them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back