GD

maldives

Reaction score
Hi all. :wave:
I have a question regarding gestational diabites. :think: My doctor told me im fine now and my sugar level is fine. but she told me to take a glucose tolerance pregnancy test which seems awful as i have to fast for 10 hours then take a glucose drink which everyone told me tastes awful :puke: then i have to wait an hour before taking the test.
mom told me it's not important as long as my sugar level is fine.
what do u all think ??

I think if your doctor recommended the test then you should take it. Your sugar level could be fine because of what you have been eating. The tolerence test would see if you need to watch your diet or if you're absolutely fine.
:hug:

I have to go for GTT aswell and my blood sugar has been fine up until now i was worried about it too, but they have told me that it is just to be on the safe side as i have a family history of diabetes, and my aunt on my mums side took diabetes when she was pregnant a few months ago, so i suppose its good that they are checking it out, rather than it going unnoticed....
Know what oyu mean about the fasting though i am not looking forward to that bit at all and my aunt says they gave her lucozade to drink that can't be that bad????? :eek:

I'm probably going to have to have this done, (great, more blood taken). I would advise trying to book it for as early as possible in the morning so most of the 10 hours are overnight. I know I am a right grizzly bear if I go more than a few hours without food.

I've got to have it too as my grandfather has age onset diabetes. I won't have to fast though, just have to drink a certain amount of original lucozade and hour before and can't eat then until I have the test. My tests have shown nothing so far though.

Alex xxx

I have to have this test on wednesday and luckily. My appointment is at 8.45 :) Im sure i was told nothing after 8 hours?!

1sttimemum let us know how it goes

ive got mine in a couple of weeks, i was told 10hrs, i'll be starving!!!

Ok.. Sorry for the delay in reply. Have been sorting the house out. My OH & his mum have managed to paint the whole living room hall and stairs & landing plus wallpaper one wall in one whole day!!

ANYWAY back to GTT testing.

I didnt eat for 14 hours in total - luckily overnight.

I went in at 9am, They pricked my finger, told me my fasting BMI was 4.7 and that was fine as it should be between 4 & 6. Then they took a vial of blood. Sent me out with 410mls of "lucozade", had an aftertaste of alka seltzer though :puke: and told me to drink that within 15 minutes and go back and tell them the minute i finish it.
So i finish it and tell them, i sit around for two hours and then go for another blood test. Thats it. If there is a problem, they contact you within 48 hours, if no problem, no call. :) :pray:

It was sooooo lovely watchin all the people going in for their first scan coming out with the pics and seeing them sooo happy.

I'd have it hun, just to be on the safe side :)

As I read in another thread, even if you dont have protein in your wee or anything its still adviseable to have the test as you can pick it up before it gets to the stage where you have the protein etc. I know its not a very nice thing to have and can cause nasty probs if you do develop it and it goes undetected.

I had my GTT yesterday and Im the biggest needle phobic and I NEED my breakfast :lol: but I did it :D

I can honestly say it wasnt bad at all and I'd do it again now if I needed to. The drink was nice LOL and the 2 hours I had to wait went so quickly. For 2 hours waiting doing nothing to know my baby and I were ok was worth every second.

You have to fast from 10pm the night before I think, thats what i ad to do but I called them to check on the details and I was also allowed to drink water.

Hope it goes ok
xxx

I thought only people who were overweight or had a high bmi had to have this test done?!

1sttimemum said:
I thought only people who were overweight or had a high bmi had to have this test done?!

nope :) Im tiny ( well was LOL ) and my bmi is 22. I had to have it because I have family history of Diabetes

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back