GTT

scones

Reaction score
Well Im fasting now, I have my Glucose Tolerance Test tomorrow at 9am, not really looking forward to it, I will miss my cuppa in the morning :( and I dont like the blood being taken.

Just a quick question to all of you who have had it done

*What did you have to change about your diet if it came back positive that you had gestational diabetes?

Hiya

I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. The main things I had to cut out were things like full fat coke (which was one of my cravings :roll: ) and the obvious stuff like chocolate. If you're diagnosed, you should get to see a dietician who can help you out with eating choices.

Simple things help though like changing white bread/pasta/rice to brown, keeping the skins on potatoes and keeping portion sizes down.

Good luck! I've got my follow up GTT tomorrow, fingers crossed for both of us :wink:

i will be interested how you get on scones, i have one of these on the 23rd of feb.

Im really not looking forward to drinking all that fluid, i still have bad morning sickness (and i cant see it going before then) an im not sure ill be able to keep it down :wall:

can i join the GTT club ive got mine on the 9th march :hug: :hug:

Im back :wave:
Well I got there at 9am and they took my blood atraight away, then gave me a cup full of lemony flavoured drink, i downed it as wuickly as I could then had some water to take the taste away. Then I was told to sit in the waiting room for 2 hours, it was sooo boring, but i read some magazines and it was interesting seeing all the preg women come and go-so many shapes and sizes!

Anyway as my first baby was 9lb 10oz the MW recommended I have the GTT, when the 2nd nurse took my blood she said 'You really dont need this done, only if the first baby is over 9lb 13oz should you be tested' I mean ffs who is telling me the right info here? Well they will call me tomorrow if i do have it but if I dont hear anything I have to assume that Im ok

Good luck to all of you who are having the test, take some reading materials, I also reallly missed my morning cuppa, it was a killer!

scones said:
Im back :wave:
Well I got there at 9am and they took my blood atraight away, then gave me a cup full of lemony flavoured drink, i downed it as wuickly as I could then had some water to take the taste away. Then I was told to sit in the waiting room for 2 hours, it was sooo boring, but i read some magazines and it was interesting seeing all the preg women come and go-so many shapes and sizes!

Anyway as my first baby was 9lb 10oz the MW recommended I have the GTT, when the 2nd nurse took my blood she said 'You really dont need this done, only if the first baby is over 9lb 13oz should you be tested' I mean ffs who is telling me the right info here? Well they will call me tomorrow if i do have it but if I dont hear anything I have to assume that Im ok

Good luck to all of you who are having the test, take some reading materials, I also reallly missed my morning cuppa, it was a killer!

oh no i was kind of hopin i could go away for 2 hours after i have drank the drink then come back lol, My DH will so not be happy if we have to sit there for 2 hours :wall:

hi scones...yeah the nurse was right im afriad :( u only need a GTT if u have a BMI over 30 like me :oops: or if u first baby was over 9lbs 14oz and like me mine was 10lbs 14.5 :oops: :oops:

hopefully based on the weight of ur 1str then ur GTT should come back clear :pray: :pray: :pray:

Kelly G...im affraid we have to stay on the antenatal unit for the whole 2 hours its standard procedure that in case ur either sick/react in the way that ur glucose rises to high as it can make u appear drunk (hypo - i think ) soo looks like we are in for a boring long wait :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored:

goodl luck to all having this GTT :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm in!! I have mine next wednesday. I'm dreading not having my morning cuppa and I blame my Dad and Grandad, they have diabetes!!! Going to Suffolk straight from the hospital for our "babymoon" so gives me something to look forward to after :dance:

Good luck with the GTT! Lucozade for breakfast ..yum! lol

My GTT came back postive and I had diet advice (cut out sugar/sweet food and also manage carbohydrate), but i also was put on insulin to keep my blood sugars normal so I didn't have a chubby baby!

The 2 hour wait during the GTT is sooooooo boring...make sure you have a good magazine to read!

I am going for my 2nd GTT on saturday this week due to my BMI being over the "normal" range! We are allowed to leave the hospital in between the 2 hours wait, so i'm going to do a bit more baby shopping. Good luck to all others having the test too xxx :hug:

So why did my MW book me in for it then if its common knowledge that first baby has to be over 9lb 14oz? Maybe its cos Im only 5 foot and my normal weight is 8stone 6lb :think: I always get the 'OMG you are so small to have had a baby that size!!@ reaction when I say he was 9lb 10oz. Im peed off that I had to go now :x

The nurse today said that I needed to sit quietly for 2 hours and NOT walk around much as it can affect the results!

scones said:
So why did my MW book me in for it then if its common knowledge that first baby has to be over 9lb 14oz? Maybe its cos Im only 5 foot and my normal weight is 8stone 6lb :think: I always get the 'OMG you are so small to have had a baby that size!!@ reaction when I say he was 9lb 10oz. Im peed off that I had to go now :x

The nurse today said that I needed to sit quietly for 2 hours and NOT walk around much as it can affect the results!

In my hospital they do it if your last baby was over 9lbs. Probably different depends on where you live.

Mine wasn't too bad. Definitly easier without morning sickness. The whole thing just reminded me how much I don't miss going to diabetic clinic every Tuesday :bored:

rhian85 said:
hi scones...yeah the nurse was right im afriad :( u only need a GTT if u have a BMI over 30 like me :oops: or if u first baby was over 9lbs 14oz and like me mine was 10lbs 14.5 :oops: :oops:

hopefully based on the weight of ur 1str then ur GTT should come back clear :pray: :pray: :pray:

Kelly G...im affraid we have to stay on the antenatal unit for the whole 2 hours its standard procedure that in case ur either sick/react in the way that ur glucose rises to high as it can make u appear drunk (hypo - i think ) soo looks like we are in for a boring long wait :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored:

goodl luck to all having this GTT :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Oh no my DH so doesnt like waiting around, specially on his day off from work :rotfl: ill have to tell him to take a book, or i might even suggest that he takes Olivia into town for a bit (she was going to goto her grandads) not sure he will ant to leave me on my onw tho :think: will have to see what he says :wall:

I diddn't get sent for one in pregnancy I got sent for one after I had my baby as she was over 11lbs, they said it can check the last so many weeks or your blood :? .

They tried tell me I couldn't go outside for some air incase i'm tempted to eat :eek: I still went out... It is really boring so take something to occupy you!

I don't have mine until May...I don't know what the results are going to be as last time I completely forgot and drank a cup of tea with 2 sugars in the morning :? silly me :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back