glucose test

Gruntie2

Reaction score
i was speaking to a work colleague today who is 26 weeks pregnant... she has had to go for a glucose test today... had to have 3 lots of blood taken.. then had to down some lucozade.... sit for 2 hrs then have some more blood tests done... i don't think i have been told about this test... when i had my 20week scan.. the midwife said i had to have some blood work done at my 28 scan and i need to see my midwife at 25 weeks..... my colleague also said she could not eat anything for 8-10 hrs... was wondering if everyone should have this test or is it just for people with a history of diabetes? just wondered as no one has mentioned this test to me... my colleague said her appt was booked for her after her 1st antenatal appt... do different districts do different tests?

i had that test at 12 weeks and I havent a clue why as there is no real history of diabetes in my family, except for my own late granny who got it in her 70's, but geez how many elderly folk get it?

I think it might have been because I'm very overweight which can cause gestational diabetes. Thinking about doing the test itself is nasty, but I was going through horrible nausea at the time so having to fast all night and then sit around having tests made me heave all morning. If i had it done now I wouldn't mind so much.

I dont think it is done unless you have a family history of Diabetes or if your blood sugar was raised in the routine one done in your initial bloods. Or if your urine had glucose in it.

3 sets of blood tests!!! :shock:

I thought it was just 1! :rotfl:

I had the test with my midwife and I think everyone has to have it, my results came back high so I had to go to the hospital and have a further test which consisted of starving from 9pm the night before then going to the hospital first thing and them taking blood then giving you some sort of sugary drink then sitting around for 2 hours not allowed to leave the unit thentaking blood again. You get the results the next day.

I had this done yesterday and luckily they came back today fine :) I tell you what though I was bloody starving yesterday!! :(

Hi,

I was just wondering when you mention 3 sets of bloods taken does that mean on separate occassions? The reason I ask is because when had to get my bloods done just before my 12 week scan I have 5 tubes taken!!! The woman who took the blood also said that near my next scan date I would have to go and give another 3 tubes to be tested and she said that this is routine for everything that they check now.

Will I have another set of bloods taken after this or is it different depending on where you live or your medical history?

Crystal xx

u dont need it unless they think ur babies big.. im not having it for any other reason.. sim ple as.. theres diabetes on both my and alex's side.. our fathers.. but i aint having it unless i feel dodgy or bubs is big.. u can refuse..

lisa&alex said:
u dont need it unless they think ur babies big.. im not having it for any other reason.. sim ple as.. theres diabetes on both my and alex's side.. our fathers.. but i aint having it unless i feel dodgy or bubs is big.. u can refuse..

ive been told i have to have it because my bmi is above 30.
baby measure fine at both scans though.. not big or anything... so will i have to have it?

I would have it. Thats my personal opinion, they wouldn't advise you having one if there wasn't any need at all. It's only another blood test at the end of the day. You can develop it at any point during the pregnancy. My preggy book advises to do the test if you've been asked to do it as gestational diabetes can develop without showing symptoms, and it really isn't nice if you do get it apparently.

hiya all - this is an oral glucose tolerance test and tests how well your body can deal with sugars (hence the test before and after the lucazade type stuf!)

you need it if...

strong history of diabetes in family
diabetes in your previous pregnancy
High BMI (ie overweight) as this makes you more likely to develop diabetes

if you have persistent glucose in your urine test it is usually just because you are pregnant (kidneys get a bit leaky) but a fasing blood sugar test is done to see if it is this of if you really do have raised blood sugars!

If that test is raised then you would go on to do the OGTT (lucazade test) to see if it is a one off or if you have diabetes in pregnancy (gestational diabetes).

If you are not offered the test it is because you don't need it
If you are offered the test then have it as it is for yours and your baby's future health! If you have diabetes in pregnancy and it is treated all is ok but if not it can have consequences for the health of both of you.

Hope this helps a bit.

:)

i've never had it but know of a lot of americans that have it, I think its standard over there and nearly everyone i know who has taken the 1st test fails and has to take the 2nd test, so dont get worrying if you do have the test and fail it.

I had to have one because my BMI was higher than they would have liked. You also have one if your siblings or parents have diabetes or I think people of a certain ethnicity.

my midwife also said any one whos bmi is over 30 has to have one

ive got to have one at 16 weeks , as my bloods at 9 , my sugar levels where twice the level it should ahve been and i hadnt eaten , ive also already got protein and ketones in my wee , so looks likly im not gonna avoid getting it :cry:

paradysso said:
my midwife also said any one whos bmi is over 30 has to have one

no one has mentioned any thing to me. i have a high bmi and my grandad is diabetic. wasn't asked last time either. nhs is so random

maybe you will be sent a letter nearer the time? just ask your midwife if your worried.

they told me i will get my date and time during my 26th week

I had mine this week. I wasn't told why I was having it, just that it was a good precaution to take.

I had 3 lots of blood taken beforehand, but 2 of those were actually my 28 week tests that the midwife thought they might as well do at the same time :lol:

I was the only one that day, so was happy to sit at a desk and continue writing my story while I waited 2 hours.

It's to test for G-diabetes, if they think you're having a baby, if you have a historhy of it in the family, if you were over weight to begin with etc, it will be done.

I had this, I think I was around 26 weeks preg, can't remb.

You have 1 blood test, straight after you have to down 2 bottles of lucozade, wait 30 mins, have another blood test, then wait another 30 mins for another blood test and then wait 1 hour for the last blood test.

The results should be back within 24hrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back