Getting to/from the hospital for the main event..

Laura1992

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

For those having babies in hospitals or midwife units, with no car, how are you getting there for the birth? We don't have a car as we live right in town, so I guess we will be getting a taxi! Has anyone done this before? I have images of waters running down my leg and a disgruntled taxi driver :lol: we only live about 5-10 mins drive from the hospital.

Also on the way back, I've heard some say that you're not allowed to leave without car seats. Is that true? We won't want to get them for obvious reasons, so I'm wondering if we can use a pushchair and just take them home on the bus, which only takes about 15 mins from the hospital. Presumably we can't take them home in a taxi because no car seats.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll be able to do a bus going home. If a c-sec you'll still be quite sore so the bus journey will probably be too much. If giving birth naturally, you'll still be quite jelly-like.

Is there a relative who can give you a lift?

My parents don't either! My dad just hires a car when he needs one and we cycle everywhere otherwise. I expect he'll be more than happy to hire one though. I hadn't thought about that.

I think you might be better just getting basic car seats for them for the journey home, it's an extra expense I know but public transport is definitely not a good idea after having a baby, never mind twins!

Have a look on Jan thread, kiddie care car seats for £35. And yes I agree, going via car water it's hire or taxi would be best coming back from hospital. As your babies will likely be earlier than due date, buses do have a lot of germs from coughing people etc on so doing it for their first journey might not be best xxxxx

You won't need the most expensive car seats as they have to pass a certain quality before being sold anyway X

I don't have a car either but I bought an Obaby first stage seat for £40, there are cheaper first stage ones though. I bought it for in my parents' car or if I go out with friends. Have only used it about 6/7 times (counting return journeys as well lol) but I'm glad it's there.

Getting to hospital...

With my first my OH didn't drive, so this was a major concern of ours. I called around the local taxi companies and all were happy to take a woman in labour, but most couldn't do so overnight (we're not in a big town). Midwife told us that if necessary an ambulance would be called to take us.

In the end I had my first at home (unplanned - quick labour) and was transferred in by ambulance shortly afterwards.

Coming home again... I spent 3 days in hospital and when I was discharged I couldn't even walk due to exhaustion (was a zombie). There's no way I could've got home on a bus! Obviously not suggesting this will happen to you, my second was fine and I walked out same day no problems, but better to be prepared, especially if a c-section is likely. If I were you I'd buy a relatively cheap car seat and then you've got them for any necessary journeys during the babies' first year.

Thanks for the advice! I am really hesitant to buy car seats as even cheap ones aren't cheap when times two, and then there's finding somewhere to store them in a small town house.. but I'll have to consider it carefully. It did cross my mind about people spluttering on the bus as it'll be December probably so lots of colds going around and what if it's Christmas/NY and buses and taxis not running.

Ok, you've talked me into it car seats haha. Thanks again xx

I had an emergency c-sec and had to stay in hospital for 5 days, walking to/from the car and getting in/out was bad enough, there's absolutely no way I would have wanted to use public transport!

Thanks for the advice! I am really hesitant to buy car seats as even cheap ones aren't cheap when times two, and then there's finding somewhere to store them in a small town house.. but I'll have to consider it carefully. It did cross my mind about people spluttering on the bus as it'll be December probably so lots of colds going around and what if it's Christmas/NY and buses and taxis not running.

Ok, you've talked me into it car seats haha. Thanks again xx

Maybe see if a friend or two have some you can just borrow for the going home bit. Save you buying one. xxxxxxx

You can rent car seats Laura! I'll post some links when I get home. I'm pretty much set on doing that, because then we don't have to lug them to Sweden. And while researching this I found baby seats where they can lay down, which seems perfect for the first few months, but at little expensive seeing as you might only want to use it until babies are starting to become aware of their surroundings.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

That's awesome! Thanks Rhiandell, you might've just saved me a lot of money!

You're very welcome Laura. :) I just had the revelation myself. I saw people talking about it on a Swedish forum, but then it was longterm hire from an insurance company, and they replace the seat when you need a bigger one. But it got me thinking that similar services must exist in the UK, so I Googled and voilà! :)

Do you have a local community face book group or mums groups? I'm sure there will be people with spare seats that will be happy to help. I would be if I lived near you x

I agree with the others, no public transportation. Try to make arrangements with a friend ahead of time to be the designated one to take you there and pick you up when the time comes. I would be afraid to rely on a taxi for getting there because sometimes they take too long to come. Going home in a taxi is okay though because if he's slow it's okay, it's not an emergency ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back