Getting organised

mustard

Reaction score
I feel like things are starting to get organised now, ready for ttc in May. Started the pregnacare conception yesterday (and OH started on Wellman). Went to gp today for a chat and to see if there was anything we needed to do before TTC.

Not sure GP really knew why I was there but he did suggest blood test for rubella immunity (I know I was vaccinated twice as a child (one separate jab and one MMR) so not sure its necessary but will do it anyway. I've never actually had a blood test done before. does it hurt? and do they tell you things like your blood type aswell or just what the test is for?

I mainly went for advice on how long we should try before seeking help as we know OH sperm count is low following cancer treatment. He said 2 years (as we are only 27) but I'm not sure I'd have the patience to wait this long if nothing happens. Anyway there is no point even thinking about that now as it might all happen straight away :pray:

The Rubella is the one just the girls had when we were teenagers (although they also now get the cervical cancer ones).

You might want to ask them to tell you your blood type if you want to know, I only know mine as I gave blood before.

They will check your Iron levels, your hormone levels and may also check immunity factors, such as your white blood cell count.

Depending on how your local PCT works, you may get to take home the 'sample bag' which you then take for them to send the blood off to the lab in, you can read the back to see what the GP has asked them to test, there'll be things like:
FBC
TSH
FSH

Which you can Google :) (can you tell I've done this before?)

Blood tests are ok, no one's idea of fun but it's mainly just like they say 'a sharp scratch' but that's kind of it. Breathe slowly just in-case like me, despite having actually taken blood from others (see my ticker for why) you get a bit faint!

It'll all be fine though :hug:

Lxx

Thanks Lander that was really helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111