Getting a dog

We've got two dogs who are crate trained, we work full time and the dogs are very happy and healthy. I must say they are tiny dogs (handbag style) and they don't need a lot of exercise at all. If we had anything bigger I don't think I could leave them for as long a period.

We've got two dogs who are crate trained, we work full time and the dogs are very happy and healthy. I must say they are tiny dogs (handbag style) and they don't need a lot of exercise at all. If we had anything bigger I don't think I could leave them for as long a period.

It's not just physical exercise though, they need mental stimulation and human company!
I have a tiny chi, couldn't leave her on her own all day, it's not fair IMO x

I have to agree, I'm a strong believer that pets are a wonderful addition & very rewarding, but their needs must be met too. Hubby & I were both working full time at one point when we first had our dogs, but my nan was over to look after our son so was there to keep them company. Our girls are miserable enough when I go shopping on a Friday because I'm out all day

ETD - Two pups together can work but can go very wrong if your not there to keep an eye. We had two as our husky cross was very lonely & always perked up around other dogs, so we got a border collie. We were not prepared for the work that came with them & a one year old. It was a nightmare having two dogs chewing, peeing, pooing, fighting. The first 6 months were very difficult, it was worth it in the end & they became a very big part of our family. We still have our Border Collie (our husky cross died a year ago tomorrow) & now also have a Malador (who was harder work than Loki & Freya combined) x

Last edited:

It's not just physical exercise though, they need mental stimulation and human company!
I have a tiny chi, couldn't leave her on her own all day, it's not fair IMO x

WSS.

I have neighbours who let their dogs(3 of them in an upstairs 2 bed flat) use their balcony as a toilet. I contacted the appropriated people who came out and actually removed one of the dogs because its unfair to the animals.

They now take their dogs out all the time now so glad I phoned..

I know that's a bit unrelated but just pointing out they do need daily long walks, hence that's why these people lost a dog. The guy works all day and the girl just went out and left them in!

xxxxx

Each to their own I suppose but so long as they're happy and healthy I think it's fine. My dogs don't know any different, they've got eachother and we still manage to spend a lot of time with them and they are very spoiled!

A lot of dogs don't bother that they don't get out all the time. I'd say for the more active dogs that need more stimulation r usually the ones that need out a lot more, like collie's, german shepherd etc.

My mums german shepherd is a total couch potato he's sooo lazy. He only likes out whn its nice and sunny. My mum has a huge back garden but he always lays inside until he needs to go LOL.

My dad drags him up the field when its nice and it knackers him out so whilst I do agree dogs need out a lot and stimulation some usually don't bother and are happy with like u say a wee pal, my two cats r indoors and they play together and run about mad so I imagine ur wee dogs r the same xxxxx

Last edited:
My dog is the same. She will only go in the garden if someone is with her else she will just sleep on the sofa lol! U let her out to go toilet n as soon as shes done shes back at the door wanting to come in.

Yeah that's what tucker does, and if u let him out in the rain he just stands with his ears back thn comes straight back in, u need to take him out on a leesh in the rain to get him to do the toilet lol xxxxx

Lol strange dogs! The most my dog will exercise is a victory run after a poo but even then shes nakered n just comes in n sleeps x

Lol strange dogs! The most my dog will exercise is a victory run after a poo but even then shes nakered n just comes in n sleeps x

Exactly the same as both of mine! How very strange!

We have 8 dogs including 2 8 month old brothers who were born here and a 14 month old LO.

I work PT and OH works shifts.

Our dogs are worked in harness, do agility for fun and show dogs too. 2/3 times a week one of us is in the forest at 4am or 11pm running them in harness to keep them mentally and physically fit and stimulated.

Daily they have at least 2 sessions in our paddock of free running and a lead walk of apprx 30 - 45 mins each.

Each week they have 2-3 training sessions in the barn each - I am a dog trainer anyway so this is essential to me.

It is extremely hard work, but we have committed to having these dogs and know what they need to keep them.

If we both worked FT and couldn't commit to this then TBH we wouldn't have them.

Some breeds of dog do not need/want much physical excersise others require a great deal, but more importantly do you have the time for training that a puppy needs aswell?

We have 8 dogs including 2 8 month old brothers who were born here and a 14 month old LO.

I work PT and OH works shifts.

Our dogs are worked in harness, do agility for fun and show dogs too. 2/3 times a week one of us is in the forest at 4am or 11pm running them in harness to keep them mentally and physically fit and stimulated.

Daily they have at least 2 sessions in our paddock of free running and a lead walk of apprx 30 - 45 mins each.

Each week they have 2-3 training sessions in the barn each - I am a dog trainer anyway so this is essential to me.

It is extremely hard work, but we have committed to having these dogs and know what they need to keep them.

If we both worked FT and couldn't commit to this then TBH we wouldn't have them.

Some breeds of dog do not need/want much physical excersise others require a great deal, but more importantly do you have the time for training that a puppy needs aswell?

Wow 8 dogs?!

This is why dae didn't get a dog, we didn't have any time to train it atall as we both worked FT, and now that I'm on mat leave OH had says oh you could train the dog whilst your off, I thought I was mat leave and not dog training leave lol.

I've stood my ground, if I'm ot aloud another cat he's not aloud a dog lol xxxx

I would echo what everyone else said - definately don't get a puppy! They need so much time and training, its really not fair on them.

We have a small dog, I work from home and OH works long hours away from home. The dog already gets bored if I have to concentrate on something for a long time! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back