gall stones/liver problems

Doors27

Reaction score
Hi all,

My wife was back in hospital yesterday for a check up and mentioned ot the midwife that she was experiencing pain just below her ribs on the right hand side. The MW explained that this is hopefully just heartburn, but if it continues it could be gall stones or at worst a liver problem as it is in the right area.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance
Doors

Hi Doors,

I have gallstones... i was waiting to have my gallbladder removed before i found out i was pregnant! Obviously now i have to wait until after baby is born. I can try and explain my symptoms and see if you can see a resemblance but ideally your wife needs to see a surgeon who will order an ultrasound scan to see if any stones are present.

Basically when i have a flare up, i get incredible pain all across the top of my stomach... its similar to a contraction in the way my stomach tenses up.. and the pain builds to a peak over a minute or so and then eases off... slight break and then back again. My stomach feels incredibly bloated and it feels like someone is pushing my ribs out and spine too... almost like a giant balloon has been inflated in there! It can last anywhere from an hour to 8 hours! Sitting forward usually helps and lying down makes it worse. The pain always makes me feel like i need to be in hospital, its excruciating...

Before i found out i was pregnant i was always given morphine at the hospital and then tram-adol and diclofenac to take at home... all of which i cant have now so am taking co-codomol when the pain gets too bad for me to cope with.

Suggestions from the surgeon are to eat a low fat diet, stay away from fried foods, chocolate, alcohol and foods with high fat content. I have to say i've struggled with this as right now i cant stop eating chocolate! Also when i was suffering with morning sickness i ate what stayed down! That isnt always whats best for you....

I do know the midwife is concerned about when baby gets bigger and my gallbladder gets squashed but i am still seeing my surgeon and i'm classed as high risk due to gallstones and other medical issues so i'll be seeing a consultant anyway.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask any questions i can do my best to answer them! I really hope its not gallstones xxx

Bekie

i had liver problems when pg the 1st time around - but it was pregnancy related and didn't cause me any pain. they found gall stones in a scan i had about 28 weeks, but i had another scan the following day for my liver and they had gone.

when alice was 20 days old (xmas day :wall: ) i got my first bout of pain from my gall bladder. i didn't know it at the time, but i ended up on my mum and dads floor in such pain - i think it was the fact i had been munching on peanuts all morning that had started me off.

it was so bad i would rather give birth again than go through it. still, no worry now as its gone :cheer: ! turns out i didn't have 'stones' as such, i had a sand like mush, that they said was like sand paper against my insides.

i lived on rice and chicken. i had a spoon ful of ice cream once and ended up in tears.

Does she seem to be worse after food?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back