From cot to bed... when??

Daggers

Reaction score
hmmm, wasn't sure where to post this, but I've been thinking about when I should look to convert Otis's cot into a bed? Obviously I woon't do it just yet as he is still to young, but I heard that some people make the change around 18months, really I just wanted to know what other moms on here have done and when you though your little one was ready.
Another step to my little baba being a young independant little lad - awwww!

I think i am gonna do it when Keeley is 2 as i think any sooner and she wil be too little :)

I did jacks at around 18months

Ella was around 18/19 months iirc. Seems like she's been in it as a bed forever now :lol:

I got rid of Tia's cot at 11 months and put her in a bed with a guard rail thing on it...

She walked at 9 months and has always been an active child... then one day when she was 11 months she didn't wake me up with her usual crying but a poke in the eye... I couldn't fathom out, how she had gotten out of the cot... then a few days later I walked in on her with her leg over the top of the cot side, getting out... I actually watched her climb out and sorta hang down, before she dropped off onto the floor. It was very scary to watch :shock: This is why bookcase got called "baby ladders" in our house.

I decided then then I would much rather she fell from 1 foot hight (ie the bed) then a 3/4 foot hight of the cot...

Let your LO decide for you... if he is trying to get out of the cot on his own then you know it's time to move him into a bed... if he seems happy and content then wait till he is not.. or until he becomes too big. :D

OMG Squiglet, that is pretty scary!!! Tia is an early learn but yes your right to have moved her into a bed so early - little monkey!
Fortunately Otis hasn't been quite as active, he does run and a cause a riot in his cot but he hasn't figured out that he could climb out of it - thank God!
Good to hear what all you other moms are doing, guess I'll just take it as it comes!

I was thinking about putting Harrison into a bed when he's around 2yrs old, I think he's too young at the moment to think about any earlier & also we have fire doors so I would be worried about him getting caught by it

Olivers been in his bed since he was about 14 months old, cus he has to wear boots n bars to bed ( he was born with clubbed feet ) he used to wake himself up with banging on the bars so. since then he is been in a big boys bed with rail.

Ewan cot was changed to cot bed when he was about 14 months old.
He now has a proper single bed. he had that just before he was two.

Lydia moved into a toddler bed at 22 months

oooohh... this is a question I am wondering.

Arianna is climbing out of her cot - do you think it is time to change?

I would say yes... Only because of the whole height thing troubles me.. A cot is about 3 foot tall right, but a beds only one foot, and I think a fall from the top of a cot is much more dangerous than a fall from a bed.

Tia was really young (it appears) to move into a bed, but she only ever fell out of bed once or twice and it was when she was awake and trying to get out of the bed, over the top of that bar thing you can get on the side... :roll: Instead of crawling to the end and getting out the normal way. I had one of those side bars with netting on it from mothercare... it was really good. :)

I just believe that if they are trying to climb out that it's time to put them into a bed.

thanks!!!

I will change ours when we get home - we have a cot bed at home wo will take the sides off.... yay get to go bedding shopping (sorry it's a passion of mine - new shoes and new bedding, nothing better!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back