Frequent headaches are getting me down...is it normal?

Julia

Reaction score
Hi girls

I have had my 12 week scan 3 weeks ago and feel fine apart from the fact that I am getting a headache most evenings. I don't undersand why this is happening now. Anyone else in this situation or does anyone have any advice. Had to take a paracetamol the other day because it was so bad. I am not a headache person when I am not pregnant. No other symptoms are present AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Driving me nuts (but I know it is definately worth it) xxxx

Hiya Julia,

OMG i'm an expert on headaches!!! I have actually been headache free for a whopping 4 days now and it feels fantastic. I started getting them at about 5weeks, some days they weren't too bad but others they were so bad I couldn't get out of bed, I think they were verging on migraines.
Some times the pain was so bad it made me throw up! Lovely eh?!

Anyhoo, I got so sick of them and feeling poop most of the time that I gave in and went to the docs (i'm not one for going to the docs) and she found I had an infection that wasn't helping so gave me antibiotics and also gave me some co-dydramol for my head, the relief was amazing.

I also found a good but gentle head massage helped alot and the Kool sooth gel strip thingys helped too. Try just laying in a dark, quiet room with one of these cooling strips on your forehead and it'll prob. help your head.

I also tried the 4head (herbal treatment), it kinda helped but not for long tho. prob more physcological than anything else!

If they persist or are getting worse go to the docs. As I learnt don't suffer in silence.

(The Antibiotics (amoxycillian) and the Co-dydramol are fine in pregnancy)

Hope this helps and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Nicki.xxx :D

I find that I get really bad migraines if I haven't been drinking enough.

Normally if I gulp down a couple of large glasses of water with a paracetamol or two and sit down with my eyes shut for a while it helps to clear all the flashy lights.

Thanks girls

I have had another headache today...driving me mad. I am going to ask my husband if he will go out and get me some "forehead" just to try. I keep worrying that there must be something wrong but I am sure if there was it would show by a bleed or cramping? Getting me down now - i feel like I am constantly moaning!

Hi again Julia,

How you feeling now hun?
I was worrying about the state of my head and the headaches too!! :lol: until I went to the docs and she said it's perfectly normal during pregnancy, it's all the hormones surging and has also got something to do with the increase of blood and the fact we need more oxygen now. Have you got any other symptons?
As you're 15 weeks they should start to disappear around about now so I would give yourself another few days then pop to the docs and get checked out, it could also be related to blood pressure or dehydration (i wondered if mine was related to not drinking enough so drank about 4litres of water in one day and spent every 15 mins going to the loo, didn't do that again!! :lol:

Nicki.xx

P.S I'm having real trouble typing at the mo. keep making mistakes, it's taking me ages to write anything, grrr!!!

Thanks for the reply

My husband went to Tesco and bought me "4Head". I rubbed it on my head and had a nice warm bath. It seemed to do the trick! It has not completely gone but is much much better. I don't know whether it was the bath or the head rub! Anyway, when I get another headache (probably tomorrow) I will try the rub again and see what happens - smells really nice also! Hope you are feeling okay...I am just relieved to get past 12 weeks and see the scan. I am going on for 16 weeks now - thinking about what is living inside my tummy keeps me sane!!!!

Hi!

I got headaches a little more often once I was pregnant - which was about twice a month - but what a headache - I would have to lie in a darkened room and end up heaving over the toilet more often than not, even though other than that I had no sickness at all.

It's a hormone thing, as far as I know, and pregnant women are prone to headaches - just at the time when you are unable to take paracetamol! The cold compress thing works wonders, as does running cold water on your head or taking a tepid bath - because the cold water constricts the dilated blood vessels in the head that are causing the pain.

Hope your headaches get better

Sue

I had an almost constant headache up until about 20 wks I guess. It didn't help that I couldn't sleep so I was constantly exhausted, but would lie in bed at night, feeling like a band was being tightened around my head, rigid with tension and unable to sleep.

I don't really know when the headaches stopped. I had a really nice relaxing w/end with my OH when the kids were away a while back and slept loads and then realised that I wasn't getting them anymore.

You can take paracetamol if it gets bad. Best not to take it all the time, but it is safe to use in moderation during pregnancy. But don't take aspirin - that one's a no-no.

Dehydration does make a difference, so make sure to drink enough (but not too much, eh nicki?) and keep an eye on your salt intake (ie avoid crisps and anchovies!).

Eventually it will pass.

Hiya,
Just thought i would let you know...i had dredful headaches from about wk 15-20 everyday, had time off work and felt horrible.

The only thing i found that would help in the end was lavender oil, either a little on you pillow before bed or a few drops in the bath. I tried everything including paracetamol and codiene and this was all i found that worked.

Hope you feel better soon - dont over do it with the lavender or you will end up smelling like my nan!!!!

take care xxxxx

You can definitely take paracetamol.

I rang my local hospital when I was about ten weeks with a severe migraine and the nurse in the maternity ward said it was fine to take if I was suffering.

I had a bad head-ache one a week up until about 20 weeks and took a dose of paracetamol each week. My baby seems fine.

Thanks for the advice, girlies!

My DH said to me this morning "you seem to get every symptom going!". I burst into tears straight away and yelled "I am not making it up!" I think he felt a bit bad then saying what he said...but it is true....I seem to be getting most symptoms and constantly complain about them! From now on I am going to try and ignore the symptoms and try to relax a little bit more. So, I am going out for a meal with the girls from work and then going to have my 1 glass of longed for wine afterwards....4 head does seem to be working though!

Hi Julia
Enjoy that lovely glass of wine, BUT..... make sure you drink plenty of water before and after. It's so easy to forget to drink water, especially when it starts to get chilly outside. I've had quite a few stinking headaches and nothing has cured it quite as well as plenty water - I suspect we're all a bitty prone to dehydrating during pregnancy.
Hope you feel better soon! If it makes you feel any better - I felt like POO for the first 18 weeks - had all the symptoms and more!!!!! Now - skipping about.... with huge bump and almighty sore back....... :lol:
Emilia xx

Thanks for your reply Emilia

I am glad you are feeling better than you were. Everytime I feel the dreaded headache coming on, I rub "4head" on my forehead and a bit on my wrist that I sniff...this makes me feel a bit better. My bumb is growing now and I hope I will be skipping around soon!!! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back