Free Breast pump from the hospital

siouxie

Reaction score
I really want to breast feed. Unless for some reason i cant then i will use formula i have been searching online to day for a lot of freebies that you can get while you are pregnant and came across an article that says you can get a free breast pump from the hospital has any one out there had first had experience in this.

This is the article i read

http://www.ehow.com/how_5689656_breast-pump-hospital.html

I think that site is American? Anyhow I doubt that any uk hospital will give you a breast pump as people would just be asking for them

It's not a necessary piece of equipment to have as if you're struggling they'll just encourage you to hand express

I was trying to work out if it was American but couldn't. My friend is breast and bottle feeding and she told me you have to express other wise ur boobs become to hard and the baby cant feed. Can you breast feed with out expressing?

Yes you don't need to express to breastfeed. Your body is pretty cool and makes just enough milk that us needed.

The more your baby feeds the more milk you will produce. And vice versa if you stopped deeding your body would produce les
If you're planning on breastfeeding i wouldn't bother buying a pump until baby arrives and you know how you're going to get on doing it xx

thanks. thats why i was having a google to see if i could get a free one i dont want to pay out for am pump until i know im happy and able to breast feed. I a bit worried about my nipples becoming sore dry and cracked as for about a year maybe a bit more before i became pregnant if my boyfriend touched my bear nipples with his hand or kissed them they would become extreamly itchy, sore dry n flakey. I went to the drs but at that point i didnt know what was causing it, since ive made sure he doesnt they have been fine. So im concerned that breast feeding might have the same reaction. i really hope not :( ive always had my heart set on breast feeding and it would save alot of money as well

I would advise that you buy some lansinoh cream before baby arrives

Basically it's like a barrier that moisturises your nipples and stops them hurting/scanning over as much. It's the only nipple cream you can leave on before breastfeeding

It's not cheap around £9 but it's a lifesaver and last ages. I'd buy it before baby arrives so you've got it. Just apply after every feed, after showers etc

Breastfeeding can be sore at times but 2 weeks in I'm completely pain free doing it so ashore period of time compared to the cost and faff of formula x

I was asked if I want to borrow one from nhs dont know if it costs or anything tho you could ask mw

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

Thanks im going to have a look in to that cream a bit nearer to my due date. £9 is nothing really when you think of the price of formula and bottles ect. Does it last for a while? I will ask at my hospital appointment about breast pumps and see if theres any posibility of borrowing or something.

I would advise that you buy some lansinoh cream before baby arrives

Basically it's like a barrier that moisturises your nipples and stops them hurting/scanning over as much. It's the only nipple cream you can leave on before breastfeeding

It's not cheap around £9 but it's a lifesaver and last ages. I'd buy it before baby arrives so you've got it. Just apply after every feed, after showers etc

Breastfeeding can be sore at times but 2 weeks in I'm completely pain free doing it so ashore period of time compared to the cost and faff of formula x

My SIL has sucessfully BF both her babies and she swears by lansinoh cream she used it from the very first feed she did in hospital with her son and has not had that many BFing issues. She may just be one of the fortunate few who find BFing easy but I have already started stocking up on lansinoh.... going to try it from the first feed x

I bought some lansinoh at the weekend too, sorry to ask a stupid question and I probably should read the label, but do you apply after a feed or before. I read that you dont have to remove it prior to feeding which is great.
xx

I bought some lansinoh at the weekend too, sorry to ask a stupid question and I probably should read the label, but do you apply after a feed or before. I read that you dont have to remove it prior to feeding which is great.
xx

Well the instuctions are not clear (or clear enough for me!) so I asked my SIL and a friend.... SIL said before, friend said after and both of there LO's have BF well.... so I don't really know hun! xx

xx

Well the instuctions are not clear (or clear enough for me!) so I asked my SIL and a friend.... SIL said before, friend said after and both of there LO's have BF well.... so I don't really know hun! xx

Think I'll have a read up and probably do after for the first feed and then do both to cover all eventualities! ha ha! xx

You can hire electric breastpumps from surestart childrens centres. It's £20 deposit per month plus £5 for the disposable bits. Well worth trying before you fork out lots of money on a pump.

With the lansinoh I put it on after each feed then whenever my nipples felt sore or dry inbetween. as you said you don't have to remove it to feed so you really can put it on whenever. I remember reading an article about breastfeeding which said it was best to avoid showered/ moisturisers or anything else that could get rid of the natural milk smell in the early days as baby primarily uses smell to know where the nipple is and latch on. don't know if lansinoh would affect this, might be with asking a bf expert? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back