• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Formula storage

DDS

Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering if any of you store made up formula.
Sometimes i make to much in the bottle and was wondering if i kept it i fridge until the next feed would that be fine? It would only be short term. Also if i am travelling, what then?

well i'm afraid i do the cardinal sin and make up enough formula for the day and store in the fridge until i need to use it :oops:

Personally I wouldn't use a bottle again that had been partly drunk already, I'd just make up less next time. Especially so if you've already made it up in advance, warmed it up and then put it back in the fridge again. Makes it a breeding ground for bacteria.

These days we just have the exact amount of powder in a pot and the exact amount of boiled water in a bottle and we heat as we need it. It's no more effort than having them ready made tbh. When she was younger we used to part fill the bottles with boiled water (cooled) and top it up with boiling water and the powder when we needed it so it was exactly the right temperature.

Naterjack said:
well i'm afraid i do the cardinal sin and make up enough formula for the day and store in the fridge until i need to use it :oops:
I have always made up the days bottles and stored them in the fridge or a cool bag if im out for the day, my 4 children are perfectly healthy i had no idea you were not suppose to do that :? is this the latest fad? make bottle feeding even more work so as to put people off it & convince them breast feeding is better???
Bottle feeding has been done that way for years, when i stop breast feeding i will do it like i always have and make the days feeds up in one go, if its a sin so be it.

Edit: sorry just realised that sounds a bit ranty :oops:

purplepants said:
Naterjack said:
I have always made up the days bottles and stored them in the fridge or a cool bag if im out for the day, my 4 children are perfectly healthy i had no idea you were not suppose to do that :? is this the latest fad? make bottle feeding even more work so as to put people off it & convince them breast feeding is better???
Bottle feeding has been done that way for years, when i stop breast feeding i will do it like i always have and make the days feeds up in one go, if its a sin so be it.

Edit: sorry just realised that sounds a bit ranty :oops:

The current guidance says that all bottles should be maade from scratch - which is completely unrealistic imo, most people on here tend to put water in bottles, leave to cool and then add the powder when needed, which is actually quicker than warming up bottles that have been in the fridge. To be honest I would do it the way that you want to, as you say it did your others no harm! THe guidance changed as people were leaving bottles out of the fridge/in the door so babies were getting tummy bugs from them.

To answer the original question, it is really not a good idea to keep bottles that have been drunk out of, as DSL it is a breeding ground for bacteria once it has touched the child's mouth.

Naterjack said:

Yes me too..........my baby is very grumpy when he is hungry and starts screaming the moment he wakes, if I had to make a bottle from scratch I would have him screaming for 20+ mins which is not acceptable!

I generally make up 3 or 4 at a time!

I wouldnt use the same bottle for his next feed though. For travelling I pack sterilised bottles and cartons of aptamil (Im not sure if all of the different fomulas also come in pre-made cartons?), the aptamil ones can be used at room temperature - so its a case of opening the carton and tipping into the bottle - hey presto!

I also ordered some of the tommee tippee travel dispensers the other day too which I am going to try whilst out too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premhospital
Back