Formula feeding...going to 6oz?

violet13

Reaction score
Hello,
Harrison went onto formula at 9/10weeks old as he was not happy on breast anymore and he started off on 4 oz but did it like bfeeding whenever he wanted it which was 6-8 bottles a day then during Xmas he was draining them and wanting more he's now draining his 5 oz and has 5-6 bottles a day he doesn't always finish one of them like before bed will have half like a top up before he sleeps so I ordered a new bigger mam bottle in preparation for the switch to 6oz he's always liked his food and since we stopped offering the bottles he now just lets me know which is good, just wondering if anyone thinks it's time to go up and also I think he's gonna want to be weaned early we give him small tastes of things like a dot on our fingers my friend gave me baby jars she never used and they where all in date he loved it like really and kept trying to munch my finger after he'd had a bit but everyone I've spoken to says not to even try yet so we decided to wait till he was around 5 and a half months but I was weaned at 9/10 weeks due to horrific colic and I did and do really well with any foods I think I had spaghetti at 9-10 months so just curious as I know it depends on baby xxx

If he's draining bottles then up the oz. How old is he? Weaning is not recommended under 6 months.

He'll be 16 weeks on Saturday. No I know that just I know other people who have weaned before 6 months just curious is all. Xxx

But why? I don't understand why we have to stick to just milk till babies are 6 months? Surely if they are hungry babies and want to try foods before then it should be okay? I was weaned early and I'm fine just don't understand xxx

Because there is a physical change that occurs in their body sometime between 4 and 6 months. As we can't actually see inside to check whether that change has occurred we need to wait until 6 months when we are certain it has happened.

Your baby doesn't sound a hungry baby. Even if he was, just up his oz's.

Hey violet. I've always increased the milk once they start finishing them, if that makes sense? So if he's draining 5, give him 6. Weaning isn't recommended until 6 months, but definitely not before 17 weeks. Lots of people do wean earlier you're right, but speak to you HV if you think this is what's right for Harrison.

You're doing a great job! He's eating plenty and he's happy. Try not to worry so much and enjoy his time with him x

Oh okay I didn't know that. And HV? Bahahaha I can't even get through to her I've rang loads and left messages have they gotten back to me? Nope. I'll wait till he's 5 months and see what he's doing but he's getting grabby when we have food as in sat next to me grabbed a handful of rice I stopped him but I was shocked he watches us eat and try's to grab if it's near him I like my food so I was like hell no haha he's such a character :) xxx

He sounds such a character! Bless him. Sounds like hes thriving x

Thank you he rolled from tummy to back yesterday I was so proud haha xxx

My lo is interested in is when we eat but I'm not convinced it's a sign he's ready to wean. I'd like to try blw with him so we are waiting until 6m+ anyway. He is 5m and on 7-8 oz bottles x5 times a day but doesn't always finish them (when we make smaller he always wants more.. So make them up to 8oz and just have to waste a bit!)
Do whatever you feel is best but there is no hurry to wean, remember that for the first year food is for fun and not really for calories, they get all they need from their milk still xx

You probably had horrific colic as a kid because the bottles had no good way of venting excess bubbles.. All the anti colic bottles have ways of lessening the amount of bubbles that cause colic... The tommee tippe anti colic bottles without the stick in the middle is a big fat lie and had bubble build up like crazy.. Caused my son mega bad colic.. but you know old bottles perhaps had a little vent in the teat and that was it (they break quite easily too) The hv nurse also was very kind to explain that baby milk stage is, is most ground down so it should cause less colic than the grainy texture of a toddler milk..

My son had a drop of orange juice accidentally spilled upon him when he was about 3-4 months and his eyes lid up because he liked it.. He didn't get orange juice until he was near one because without the fibre.. It's like drinking sugared water with vitamin c. I still waited until 6 months.. Now I probably wouldn't wait until 6 months again and really only introduce flavours at 17 weeks to start with meals on 6 months.. But never in a million year would I do it before 17 weeks.. If anything would happen like choking and there's a reason that bar is set at 17 weeks, I would not forgive myself..

The person in my hubby's family who advised me she weaned all her children at 12 weeks has two obesed teenagers and a younger kid that's always sick.. Always had a cold or something wrong with her.. I didn't take it to heart.. It's also taking into consideration that baby milk has everything a baby needs and solids especially baby rice fill up more quickly but do no where near have the same nutritional count in it.. So there is a risk of deficiencies..

By all means, it's not my business when you do eventually decide to wean your baby but I do think that's a couple of things that should be given thought and taken into consideration when you do.

This is why I asked for advice I want to be sure he's ready so I'll see how it all goes thank you ladies we will stick to his milk but keep giving him small tastes he doesn't get it often once a week xxx

Violet I've tried to private message you but I can't... X

I'd go up to 6oz if baby wants it then give it xx

As for weaning I would hang on and have a research of baby led weaning it's really interesting and it seems easier than blending and mashing everything. With Eva I had to wait until she saw the paediatrician due to her lactose intolerance but he said to start and that was at 5 and a half months. I have a fussy baby though she really isn't interested in solids at all. She still has five 6oz bottles and she is 7 months old next week! If tired finger foods and mashed she just isn't interested.the health visitor was worried though! X

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/delay-solids/

This explains why it is best to wait until 6 months (or as close as possible to 6 months) to introduce food other than milk. (Some of it only applies to breastfeeding, but other points apply to bot, such as the science of the "open gut")

Also, milk (breast or formula) is higher in fat and calories than most first foods.

Jarred babyfood is particularly poor nutrition wise as it's mostly water and then they use bulkers like corn flour & potato starch etc to thicken it. It's a lot cheaper and healthier to just cook some carrot (and/or other veg) and either give it BLW style or mash it up.
If you wait til 6 months there is also no need to puree.

Last edited:
My son got up to 11oz at each feed prior to weaning!!!! I had to buy massive bottles. I never tried weaning early - it just didn't occur to me, but even when we did try at 6 months he wasn't quite ready and we had to wait another couple of weeks.

It really does depend on the baby. Perhaps up the milk first then try some basic purees?

Hi thanks ladies, we have given a small taste on our fingers of baby porridge he seemed to like it but apart from that recently he's been having his milk like normal. As for baby led weaning that's when a child tales from your plate isn't it? If so then I'd prefer not to get him into that habit. If it's not that then I don't know. Xxx

Blw is letting the baby pick up foods and feed themselves - most put it on a tray in front of them on high chair and let them pick it up themselves. It's messy but good for them to learn and saves the faff of puréed foods. Many start with soft steamed carrot batons/ broccoli etc. I'm planning to do it in combination with spoon feeding things like lumpy mash so he gets used to a spoon too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back