formula/bottles in hospital

My1stBaby

Reaction score
i am going to try and breast feed as soon as baby is here but i obvs want to be prepared incase i cant do it... (and ill be hospital for a while as im having a c-sec)

so my midwife said to take in those ready made cartons of milk and your own bottles.....

but i cant work out how they're sterilised???? do they do it for you?? how many bottles shall i take?

and also those ready made milks say you can use them at room temperature so you dont have to heat it up.. seems a bit odd to me??

any advice will be greatly appreciated i feel like a lost sheep i have no idea about milk and bottles and sterilising im trying to learn and its not going in ahhh

xxx

The ward will have sterilisers there and warmers too. baby will decide what temp they want the milk, my nephew liked it body temp but his little brother liked it cooler. I'll be taking 4 bottles, the pump and a few cartons just in case xxxxxxxx

yeah my hospital is the same got sterilisers in the room, but i'll leave sterilising them till the last second before i go to hospital

I'd take 1 carton and 1 bottle to save on space, if you need more OH can bring more. The cartons have about 3-4 servings in each

my cartons are 250 ml how much do they drink at first? n if i pour the whole 250 into a bottle can i just keep it at room temp so he can drink it as and when he wants more...?

confused.com lol xxx

my cartons are 250 ml how much do they drink at first? n if i pour the whole 250 into a bottle can i just keep it at room temp so he can drink it as and when he wants more...?

confused.com lol xxx

Formula will only keep for an hour or so once it's been opened I believe. Its different for each baby what they take when they're born. My Noah was 4 weeks early and struggled drinking 20ml on his first day, but now he's nearly 4 weeks old and he takes about 60-70ml no problem.

When I was in hospital, they provided milk, teats and bottles and also gave me a Milton cold water steriliser to sterilise it all :)

Last edited:
I'm packing some sterilised bottles on the morning and some cartons hun. I am only planning on doing that first few colustrum feeds, I may like it and change my mind but I don't feel comfortable with the thought of it at the moment. You can open the cartons and store them in the fridge if theres some left and the ward will have a fridge you can use. A good idea is to get some stickers or labels and write your name on them then stick them on the cartons. xx

I had to give formula top ups when I had harry and we bought the bottles of sma that you can get with the steralized teats. They were fab as I wouldnt have been able to make it down the corridoor to the room to steralize bottles!!
xxx

well yeah im worried about being able to move about etc but im really hoping im able to breast feed at least the whole time im in hospital, i just wanna be prepared.

thanks leanne labels are a very good idea, im gona take sterilised bottles and cartons and im sure the nurses and my family can help me work it all out

thanks for all the replies xxxxxx

At my hospital they gave your bottles of room temperature milk and steralized teats you just opened and put on. Alyssia had it at room temperature and was fine, i always thought it had to be warmed but apparetly not. If they dont provde you with the milk then they will have sterilizing stuff there. XX

It's interesting how my midwife has told me not to take anything in with me if I am planning on breastfeeding.

I'm worried about if I can't do it and being prepared but she categorically said not to bring anything. I just assumed they would supply something in the event that it didn't work out?

well mine said 'i know i should be promoting breast feeding and nothing else... but i suggest taking in bottles and milk just incase'

but some just dont think you should even think you might be able to breastfeed so they wont tell you otherwise!!! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back