For those doing hypnobirthing

Bunnykins

Reaction score
Hiya everyone, what a week! I am exhausted, this is the first 5 minutes I've had without a child attached to my booby or leant over a changing table being wee'd on!!! :rofl:

I've been trying to get on for ages to update my birth story but I wanted to come on and give a bit of advice for those using the hypnobirthing/natal hypnotherapy CD's as well.

As most of you know I started listening to the Natal Hypnotherapy CD at about 35 weeks, to be honest I didnt do it particularly regularly until about 38 weeks, I kept falling asleep during it too so I wasnt sure if it was going in or not.

When I went into labour I used the breathing through every contraction (golden breath in, blow out tension) I kept my face relaxed and created a nice safe environment in my home (dimmed lights, candles, relaxing music etc) I didnt get chance to do any visualisation or go to the 'safe place' but I was just very chilled out and relaxed without having to do anything, it was like my brain and body took over. When the contractions got really intense I did have one where I lost control over my breathing and tensed up and fought the contraction and boy oh boy was that unbearable, my hubby stepped in and used the trigger phrase and told me to relax etc so I got back in control over my breathing. I wont go into much more detail about the birth as I am writing my birth story so you can read it there, but suffice to say I got to 8cm at home on my own, I personally thought I wasnt coping near the end and was really disappointed with myself that it wasnt working (I believed I was only 3cm at that point!) but my hubby kept pointing out how relaxed I was, and so did all the MW's at the hospital!
When I went into the 2nd stage of labour it was like a switch going on in my head thats the only way I can think to describe it, my body completely took over and I went completely into myself, my hubby said it was very animalistic and amazing for him to watch, my body knew just what to do and pushed when it needed to, suffice to say my baby literally popped out in one go painlessly and in one kind of semi push!!!! I did tear slightly but I didnt feel it at all, and have never needed any painkillers for the stitches and healing.

At the time I felt like I the hypnobirthing didnt work I felt like it was a lot of effort to do the breathing and keep on top of it, and the contractions still felt pretty intensive, but looking back at it I never lost control and stayed calm throughout, I only needed a couple of gasps on gas and air near the end, and my baby was born so easily I barely noticed he had come out, I got the fright of my life when they put him on my stomach as I had no idea I had given birth!!!!! My husband is not a soppy man but he still tears up at the thought of my labour and said it was the most amazing thing he has ever seen and been through!

So my advice is keep doing the CD you may not think it is working but it really is, your mind and body will use it without you even realising! the breathing techniques do work and if you stay calm and focussed and relaxed you will get through the contractions and it may speed your birth up like it did with me! Even if it feels like you arent coping at times during the labour, if you keep going with the triggers and breathing then you will cope, never doubt what you are doing, your body really does know best, let it do its job and dont fight it!!!!!!!

Good luck with your births!!! It really was the most amazing experience I have ever had, and my little boy is just my entire world now!!!!

Thank you for this hunny, was wondering whether the whole hypnobirthing was worth it but im going to stick to it now :)
Congratulations again x x

Thanks for sharing will defiantly be carrying on with my cd now x

Thanks for the insight - will def keep listening to the CDs :) Congrats on the birth of your son x

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the amazing birth of your son!! looking forward to reading your birth story xx

That's brilliant hun! Thank you for sharing......am pleased I'm sticking at it and hoping it will help me too! xx

That's amazing!!! Thanks for sharing xx

Sent from my knackered iPhone

Just wondering if it's too late for me to try hypnobirthing cd... I'm 30 weeks. Anyone know?

Same question as Joo... I'm 30 weeks too. Sounds like you were in a good frame of mind, I'm hoping I can do that too. Congratulations on the birth of your little boy. Where did you all get your CDs from? x

Thanks for thinking of us and telling us the details of hypnobirthing. I am really keen to have as natural birth a birth as possible and would love to have your experience. U have given me a lot of inspiration, thank you xxx

great thread. i'm going to order my CD, OH wants me to do the classes but there are such good reviews about the CD i'd rather not spend the money on a course.

xx

Great story, thanks so much for the encouragement! I've got the book which i'm still reading, listened to the cd lots of times already - got it from amazon I think. Less than a tenner! They do say even if you listen just a few times it will help you so for those at 30 weeks - go for it! It's really making me more relaxed and confident about the whole birthing process and i'm not feeling that much fear anymore!
It's called natal hynptherapy by Maggie Howell

Same question as Joo... I'm 30 weeks too. Sounds like you were in a good frame of mind, I'm hoping I can do that too. Congratulations on the birth of your little boy. Where did you all get your CDs from? x

I wouldn't say 30 weeks is too late, I started it at 35 weeks but to be honets didnt do it properly (ie daily) until 37/38 weeks, I got my cd off Amazon it was called effective birth preparation.
Pos I did it with just the cd, I didn't have the book or the classes and it was enough for me.

My mw has told me that I'm now eligible for a home birth next time because of how well my labour went, and I'm a high risk and had dual consultant/midwife care throughout my pregnancy, so to be told I can have a home birth next time because of how safe and well my labour was is brilliant!!!

:yay:

Its great to read such a positive story!! Its such an inspiration.

I'll defo be sticking to hypnobirthing too - trying to avoid all pain relief except g&a had a horrible experience with an epidural last time & its making me really anxious this time, so this has helped give me hope that I can do without it!!

Thanks for sharing!

:hug:

Thanks for the info on CDs all xx

Thank you so much for sharing this. I was getting a bit worried it wasn't working as I just either get annoyed with it as I can't get comfy or I fall asleep. I'll definitely keep going with it now.

And congratulations on the birth of your little boy. You did amazingly! xx

Thanks for posting this. We've just finished the classes and I've been listening to the cd most nights, but just keep falling asleep to it, so it's great to hear it's probably still working. Will definitely keep practicing the relaxation with hubby though so he can help keep me relaxed. It gives him something to do too!

just ordered my CD, the book i want has sold out though.

at my antenatal class today they were so positive about it, the midwife thinks its great! x

I fully back up what bunnykins has said, I'm convinced it works as I was totally relaxed and in control, I was 9cm when I got to hospital and barely realized I was even in labour until the transition phase at that point. My hubby also commented how calm and amazing the second stage was, Kynon was out in a couple of pushes and I also had no tears just a graze, I remember feeling totally in control in like a world of my own and letting my body push him out. I started the cd at 32 weeks so only did it for a month, I also fell asleep a lot but something went in I'm sure of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back