How are you preparing yourself for the birth?

BabyMagic

Reaction score
What preparation are you doing for the birth? By this I don't mean writing a birth plan, packing a hospital bag and drinking rasberry leaf tea, but how are you preparing yourself mentally?

I hadn't really thought about preparing myself mentally unti fairly recently. I have been maintaining my exercise routine which hopefully will help with stamina during the big day. During exercising I have been doing breathing exercises and visualising the birth.

I have been reading 'HypnoBirthing' by Marie Mongan. I find the book quite useful, but not sure that I would be able to have a 'painfree' birth myself - particularly as I haven't done any hypnobirthing classes, but there are some useful tips. I like how the book advises to use words such as waves or uterine surges instead of contractions, and tightening or pressure instead of contractions. The book also teaches about affirmations. My favourite is: 'I trust my body and follow it's lead'. Overall, the book gives a more positive outlook on birth. Whether that's a reality we'll just have to wait! :think:

I've also been listening to Glenn Harrold's 'Blissful Birth' CD which is a 27 minute hypnotherapy recording. I've been listening to other calming music with nature sounds (my favourites are 'Pure Relaxing' by Llewellyn or 'Pure Healing' by Rhodes) whilst practising breathing techniques. I am planning to bring these CDs to hospital with me (together with Lionel Ritchie as may want something a bit more upbeat!!!).

I havent really been doing much to be honest!

Gentle excersize and walking the dog :think:

I'm also reading hypnobirthing, I made a thread here if you want to read what other people here thought.

I'm also struggling a bit with the "giving birth will be a totally relaxing experience" part of it, mainly cos I've given birth twice before now and I cannot see how I'll every be in an "ultimately relaxed state" but I suppose by thinking like that I never will! :lol:

Like the book says though, birth is a totally natural thing to do, and your body will know what to do. I think the amount of pain takes some ladies by surprise, so reminding yourself that what is happening is meant to happen is a good start.

er, by pretending it's not going to happen to me! :oops:

I can't think about it without getting nervous so I just don't think about it!

Urchin - yes I am also a bit suspicious about the 'totally relaxing experience'.

My friend who had her first baby recently was telling everyone before her labour that 'the birth doesn't need to be a painful experience' and that she wanted a totally natural birth. As it happened, she ended up having gas and air and eventually epidural as well. She felt quite inadequate afterwards.

Another acquintance of mine was booked for a homebirth and had attended hypnobirting classes. As it happens she had to an emergency c-section.

That's why I don't want to 'commit' to wanting a natural birth. It would be nice, but as you say as I haven't done it before I just cannot plan or know how painful it will be. It is better to have an open mind.

Nothing can prepare you believe me! :D

loz said:
Nothing can prepare you believe me! :D

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I have just written down my labour tips chart and stuck it on the wall and now Im going to forget about birth until its happening. OH said to me earlier that I'll be fine, I just have to let my body do its job and he is so right :)

can you show us a pic Tilly!?!? When you said about it I thought what a good idea it was! :lol:

inforabumpyride said:
can you show us a pic Tilly!?!? When you said about it I thought what a good idea it was! :lol:

I posted one hun in the thread... :)

I am sure you are right Loz :lol: It will be a completely new experience, that's for sure.

I saw your lovely chart Tilly. I am sure it will help you to focus. If nothing else, people have been saying that it is a good distraction to read during contractions :rotfl:

I don't think i'll ever be mentally ready... lol.

But Tilly's chart is FANTASTIC! (i might just 'borrow' the idea) lol

I'm going for the slogan 'PAIN FOR A PURPOSE' i've told OH to remind me constantly that it's the way I get to meet my daughter....

I've done the Marie Mongan hypnobirthing course and currently reading the book again. It has helped me feel more relaxed and confident about the birth, however, I am under no illusion that it will mean I will definately have a natural pain free labour. If it makes things easier and I can manage, fantastic. If I am in pain and I can't relax, I will take pain relief, I am not going to be a martyr.

Just started taking my raspberry leaf tablets today :cheer:

I haven't a clue how to prepare mentally, just trying to keep an open mind and see what happens.
Trying to get lots of rest now before the tiredness of labour and looking after a newborn kicks in

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back