• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

For mummies who had SPD

smurf

Reaction score
Hiya I'm just wondering those of you who suffered with SPD did you have to have a c-section or not and if not how much SPD pain did you have afterwards and how long did it take to go away completely if indeed it did?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to see if I will be able to have a vaginal birth with SPD I am planning on having as much pain relief as I need including an epidural but I'm not sure it will be a good idea as opening my legs too wide is very painful and I'm afraid if I can't feel the pain of the SPD I might do more damage. (god I hope this makes sense)

I didnt need a c-section, and I felt fine after the birth. It still sometime gets sore down there if I lie funny in bed or lie too long on the couch

I had a vaginal birth and an epidural. My spd was so bad that I had trouble walking and was very nearly on crutches near the end of my pregnancy. Tia went back to back near the end, so I was actually quite lucky as I had very little problems with my pelvis, all the pain was in my back. To tell you the truth the pain of giving birth over runs the SPD pain....which if like me, you've been suffereing from for over 5 months by the time of the birth, is kind of a relief. Just make sure that your delivery midwife knows you have SPD and they will be very gentle with you.

After the birth... the pain just vanished. It comes back if I put any heavy pressure on my pelvis...such as trying to move heavy sliding doors with my legs slightly apart, or leaping out of bed suddenly... but it's amazing how quick it goes.

Now I am worried about this time round...it's supposed to be far worse with a subsequent baby and I really think this time round I won't be able to walk, drive or move.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks girls that does put my mind at rest.

Squiglet they do say it gets worse with the second pregnancy - my sister had it very bad on her second and was on crutches but with her third (es she did go on to have another ):D she discovered these guys and didn't even need crutches http://www.mctimoney-chiropractic.org/treat_preg.htm

She highly recommends them to everyone who suffers with SPD. I've been going to phyio but they're not in my area so couldn't be referred. But think I will pay to see them once on mat leave.

I had spd from around 30 weeks. I was fine walking around, but turning in bed and trying to open my legs to get dress really hurt. I have to agree with Squiglet the pain of birth over runs the SPD pain completely!
The best thing though was as soon as Dan was born the pain went.

I just had a epidral but still had a vaginal birth.And felt ok afterwards

I had SPD from 24 weeks and found it very painful to walk and especially turning over in bed! I managed to get away without have crutches and went into labour naturally but Charlie was also back to back so I ended up having 20 hours of labour, stuck on my back which didnt help my SPD with 2 hours permanent pushing and he then got stuck so ended up with an emergency C-Section which was such a relief!!! I did 20 hours of labour with gas and air and one dose of Pethidine which lasted about 3 hours.
My SPD settled after about 3 months although it does still flare up abit when I have my period as my GP explained it is to do with the fluctuating hormones.

I has SPD from 16 wks....it was the motion of going up steps that killed me opening my legs wasn't nearly as bad. I took it very easy toward the end and went no where fast. Thank god i didn't live in a house with stairs.....i would never have got up them

I had a homebirth with just G&A for pain relief. I found being on all fours the only way i could cope in labour and delivered in this position.

How bad do you have it hun i know some ladies end up on crutches :(

Good luck i'm sure you'll get through it
:hug:

Oh and afterwards the pain did just disappear......sadly i think i may have it again this time round...my pelvis feels weird :(

Hi all thanks a million for your responses I am a lot more positive that a might be able to have a vaginal birth its been suggested to me that the best position would be on all fours standing leaning over the bed but definitely not on my back. - Natural Mama I'm not so bad that I need crutches (my sister had crutches from about 20 weeks) it hurts most turning over in bed and getting up to go to the loo in the night is agony I have to hang on to the furniture also if I walk too far I feel very sore later on so I have to take it very slowly - getting up and down from a sitting position is hard too. I have a little step ladders for getting in and out of the bath as we don't have a shower stall. I don't need crutches at the moment and will hopefully get to the end of my pg without them.

Oh you are joking it gets worse with 2nd pregnancy, how the hell would you cope having a little one aswell????

Eveadel my sister used to get her 2 yr old to run up and down the stairs getting her stuff :lol: he was really good. She never carried him he weighed a ton anyway and encouraged him to climb in and out of his buggy himself. :lol:

I had spd quite bad maybe it was due to the fact my baby was rather large though but it caused me loads of pain when trying to sleep and get out of bed or stand from sitting. I had a vaginal birth and the pain dissapeared not long after...not sure how long though because the epidurial I had lasted ages.

Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction

It basically where the hormones cause your pelvis to become a bit too soft and moveable.

smurf said:
Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction

It basically where the hormones cause your pelvis to become a bit too soft and moveable.

Thankyou :)

I had spd in the last few weeks of my pregnancy with James. I had to go to a few physio sessions and I found that helped a lot (the physio used to yank one of my legs until my pelvis was level again!). I used to be in pain walking and would wake up at night and couldn't get out of bed!
It didn't bother me at all in labour. I had a vaginal birth with pethidine and gas and air. After the birth the spd disappeared.

smurf said:
Hiya I'm just wondering those of you who suffered with SPD did you have to have a c-section or not and if not how much SPD pain did you have afterwards and how long did it take to go away completely if indeed it did?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to see if I will be able to have a vaginal birth with SPD I am planning on having as much pain relief as I need including an epidural but I'm not sure it will be a good idea as opening my legs too wide is very painful and I'm afraid if I can't feel the pain of the SPD I might do more damage. (god I hope this makes sense)

hi! i had it with al lmy babies but very bad with my last. possibly becasue she was 10 pounds :shock: . I didn't have a c section coz i din't want one and i don't think c sections are needed for his compalint TBH. . I still have pain now if i do too much walking / push a trolly etc. I am still under the physio for it. They have told me it will take a year at least to feel better but i will proberbly be blighted with it all my life now.

smurf said:

i had spd and had a normal delivery, i had epidural and was fine, the next day my pelvis was sore, didnt do more damage though and i had it pretty bad during my pregnancy, i was on crutches :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back