flu jab???

chloe123

Reaction score
Hi all,

I usually have a flu jab every year as i have asthma, but i went yesterday and they said they needed to check the ingredients before i have it, then the dr phoned to say i need to go and have a chat before i decide to have it done.

just wondering if anyone else had theirs done early in pregnancy and what effects it had on you/baby?

i mentioned the mercury free jab, but she didnt have a clu!!!

xxx

I am the same as you and had the mercury free one without any problems over a month ago, infact nearer 6 weeks ago now. Didn't worry about seeing the doctor beforehand, just went in a day after the flu clinic as they had to special order the jab for me, and the nurse injected it. All was fine.

Its safe to have the mercury free one. I don't know why your surgery is as they are about it. They can order it via the local pharmacy as mine did I would think. Any risks there may be I felt are far outweighed as being covered against flu when asthmatic is important. If you get ill now with flu, it'll be nasty for you and baby in there is how I saw it.

I was fine and I am now in second tri with bump :)

Hi,

I was told by the nurse that they don't like giving the jab to pregnant women/ or women ttc so I haven't had mine. Have had a nasty cold over the last couple of weeks but think I've escaped a chest infection - asthma seems to be much better since I've been using the brown inhaler twice a day.

I don't think I will have the jab as I had a m/c earlier this year and am extremely nervous about this pregnancy. As far as I can remember, I've only had flu once in my life so I'm hoping I'll be ok this year.

All the best

Sounds a bit daft when the NHS website states the mercury free one is designed to be given to pregnant women. Anyways, the choice is yours but they should not be refusing to offer you a jab of the mercury free one IMO. They should at least be offering it, giving you the choice and letting you decide. Not letting you have the choice is wrong I feel. My nurse admitted she had never given a pregnant woman one of the mercury free jabs and had read up on it, and was happy to give it. She said the other practice nurses had however given them in the past.

The NHS site says

Is it safe to have the flu jab whilst pregnant or breastfeeding?

The Department of Health advises that it is safe for pregnant women to have the flu jab, but that they should have the thiomersal-free vaccine (mercury-free) wherever possible. It is considered that the benefits of having the vaccination outweigh the risks of exposure to thiomersal.

Some pregnant women have medical conditions (such as chronic disease of the heart, lungs, liver or kidneys) which suppress their immune systems, making a bout of flu more severe. Again, in these cases the benefits of having the jab are greater than any possible risks, and vaccination should take place before the flu season begins, regardless of the stage of pregnancy.

Clinical studies have shown no adverse effects from the flu jab on pregnant women (or their babies) or those who are breastfeeding, as the virus in the vaccine is inactivated.

The becatide inhaler is good and if lucky you won't need anything else. I found often last winter though I was max-ing out on the brown inhaler (you can only go up to 4 puffs twice a day) and had to have a course of steroids. Not nice.

I then switched and have a purple inhaler now, which is a combination of the brown and blue ones and don't use the brown one at all anymore and I've had less problems.

Hi,

Thanks ever so much for posting that, I had no idea that this is the case, and I'll make some enquiries as I found the winter much easier in the years that I've had the flu jab (I don't know about anyone else but I don't seem to get colds so severely after having it - not sure why because it's only supposed to be for flu but there you go).

thanks everyone, will have a long think before i decide!

xxx

hello, just wanted to let you all know that i had the jab today, decided that it would be silly not to!

also, asked the dr about the brown cm i get every now and then, she said it is really common in early pregnancy and only to worry if it turns red or if i have pain with it!!!

xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back