Flexible working

Dotty_woman

Reaction score
After I return from maternity leave, I am contemplating seeing if I can negotiate coming back to work four days a week rather than five. I have always worked full time whilst my children were tiny and feel I've missed out on an important stage in their lives when we coułd have done so much more together. I've mentioned it to my boss and we have an internal form we have to complete making the request that covers stuff like how are my team going to cover my workload on the day(s) I'm not there and it's all a bit daunting. My boss's boss is a bit of a dick and I'm sure they'll find some reason not to grant my request. I wondered if anyone had done the same thing and had any suggestions including when you are supposed to make the request by and what the official procedure is. xxx

I'm packing in one day a week from 2 weeks time as I'm finding 13 hr days too much now, and time to look after baby and me. That will take me to 3 long days (about 36-8hrs a week) which will be plenty to get on with when i come back!!!

I'm a partner though so its a bit different, i just opt for less profit/pay if you like and my current partners are very good about this.

I think if you are employed you need to talk to your HR dept about reducing hrs/flexible working. Just be careful you don't get sucked into the "oh yes you can work 4 days" then end up doing 5 days work in 4. There must be a distinct reduction in workload for it to be worthwhile!

That form sounds like a bit of a farce, its not up to you to plug the gap, but i think they can turn down your request if there is no solution to the problem of you dropping hours. I am not an expert in this though. I'll try asking my hr guy today and see what he says...

Aw thanks Fliss. Any pointers would be most appreciated. xxx

Ok, low down from my hr is:

"They are on a sticky wicket" refusing flexible working to a pg lady. They have to grant requests that are reasonable unless there are strong mitagitating circumstances to why they can't (otherwise it is discrimination). Obviously its easier for them to decline when the reason for asking for flexible working is less specific than childcare or ill health etc, but generally speaking its not in anyones interests to be obstructive about it.

It isn't your job to come up with solutions although it might be helpful for everyone if you were involved with coming up with one!

I'm a manager and have to say no to all applications to reduce hours because I simply cannot run the ward with any less nursing hours than I already have. I want to say yes because I totally agree that working mums should be able to go part time but I can't take the responsibility of not being able to provide patients with the correct amount of nurses to provide their care. BUT, most women will then appeal against my decision and they will then win their appeal which I am happy about, but it's not me that has agreed to the reduced hours therefore not my responsibility that there are not enough nursing hours and senior management then have to do something about the deficit it creates.

I mentioned going back 3 days per week to my regional manager yesterday and she seemed THRILLED about the idea, she knows when everything is ticking over that I can do my job in 2.5 days per week and that my working week is only so long because I have to help everyone else, I just hope that my circumstances don't change between now and when I'm due back :)

My company are big on flexible working so hoping I can do 4 days (I know others that do) like others have said pg people have rights

I wish, my work have no flexible option no part time and I will return on a 3 shift rota I'm dreading it I'm going back for the 6 month that stops me having to pay back my maternity and then going to find a new job as I don't want somebody else raising my child whilst I'm either at work or that exhausted that I can't be bothered to do anything :( xx

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Fliss, thanks for speaking to your HR. It's been very helpful. All I need to find out now is at what stage I have to put in my request in (i.e. do I have to do it before I go on maternity leave or can I do it whilst on maternity leave). xxx

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Fliss, thanks for speaking to your HR. It's been very helpful. All I need to find out now is at what stage I have to put in my request in (i.e. do I have to do it before I go on maternity leave or can I do it whilst on maternity leave). xxx

Whilst on maternity leave, incase your circumstances change whilst you're off :)

You should arrange a meeting with your manager during your maternity leave to discuss your return to work, this is when you discuss you application for reduction of hours.

Thanks for that Karen! I'll get something arranged when the time comes then. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back