First Time Mum - What to buy?

Lyonsb

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm drawing on the experience of you ladies who have already had babies and know what you're doing!

Me and my boyfriend have the money and want to start stocking up on things for the baby, but we aren't really sure what we need. I've been reading books and magazines with suggestions but I'd like to hear from 'real' people what they had and recommend.

I'm thinking in terms of blankets, sheets, clothing, equipment. I know it would be easy to go and buy everything I read about but I also know that this isn't necessary!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Brooke x x x

sorry I cant help chick but am keeping an eye on this thread as it would help me immensley too. I dont have a clue what quantities of what to buy x

Oh my God babe, thank you SO much - that's so helpful!! I am going to print that out and see what I've got already and what I need!!

Oh I wanted to ask aswell - top and tail bowl? I'm guessing this is a bowl of warm water. Is it for cleaning baby's eyes and stuff or what do you actually use it for??

Cheers!

x x

muslin cloths!!!! you cant have enough of them i never used bibs untill the weaning stage i just tucked one of these under his neck.
Top and tail bowl is a split bowl you fill both bits with warm water use one bit for head face neck ect then the other bit for bum bits and belly, its for the first few days instead of bathing them.

i never used are a bath for baby or a seat just used to have him in the bath with us or laid him in a shallow bath of water.
Make sure you get a few cellular blankets (ones with holes in) as even in the warmer weather babies like a little blanket i found these are the best as they allow to air to curculate.

Cant think of anything soontobemrs hasnt already covered.

Also do shop around you can get a plain t&t bowl in wilkos for 99p rather then 4.99 in mothercare!!
Also as already said do look in supermarkets as they do great value stuff
xx

Thank You so much for that list!! :D :D

With regards to sleeping, i was going to have a nursery for the baby with a cot in, but when hes a new born have him in our room, in a moses basket. Is this ok or do i not need to bother with the moses basket and have him in the cot straight away?

OK this is our list of stuff we actually needed in rough order of priority (at the beginning at least, you'll need a cot later on so I haven't included that):

* Moses basket
* Moses basket sheets x 2 (bare minimum) better to get 3 or 4 for sick accidents in case you are "blessed" with reflux.
* 2 x small cellular blankets (these can go in pram or Moses basket)
* Changing mat
* Bepanthen / sudocrem in case of nappy rash
* 1 pack newborn nappies (don't buy too many nappies at first as you may have a biff baby)
* Cotton wool and a small bowl for water (nick one from the hospital, we did)
* 3 newborn sleepsuits & 3 0-3 month sleepsuits
* 3 newborn vests & 3 0-3 month vests - you can buy more 0-3 month stuff but don't buy newborn they're out of it so quickly.
* Baby nail clippers (unless you want to bite them off)
* Baby bath (unless you want to use the sink - then put a towel over the taps)
* Baby towel - you can use an ordinary flannel. No need for Johnsons at that age. Baby shampoo if your baby has loads of hair. Most don't.
* Pram or travel system - I won't advise you on this, it's a minefield :shock:

Optional but usually good stuff:

* Nappy bin - we still use ours!
* Swaddling blankets - used for one week, Connie hated swaddling BUT some babies LOVE it.
* Top & tail bowl - we never used ours even once.

After 6 weeks or so your baby will start to get interested in things like a play gym etc but before that they're pretty hard to entertain. Also be aware that you will be bought LOADS of stuff (honestly) most of which will be for later on or not the most practical items of clothing (pretty dresses etc).

Good luck!

its completly up to you Thomas was in a moses basket then a crib then a cot, but the moses basket was great for moving about the flat as he slept,
but if you are getting a pram with a carrycot you can use that for the babies day time naps just put it on the floor or sofa
xx

Ill tell you what i wouldnt bother buying

Baby Bath- we only used it a couple of weeks and it was a complete hassle carrying thru to the lving room for a two minute bath and then having to empty. Id just bathe them in shallow water in big bath.

Top and tail bowl. Just use a large kitchen bowl. Was bubs face first and then body leaving bum till last and you will ony need ne bowl

Newborn/0-3 month clothes. Buy a minimum amount. Dont go over board you will regret it.

Snowsuit- Id only buy one in new born. If you need another wait you can pick them up on ebay for next to nothing and like brand new because babies grow out of them so fast.

Ive never used my Tommee tippee powder storagejars and it would be cheaper to buy little tupperwear boxes to keep in your changing bag if you are going out.

Baby shoes are a complete waste of time, she just kicks them off they ay look pretty but are totally impractical.

Wouldnt bother with a quilt /bumper set also they look pretty but you cant use a quilt on a new baby and by the time they are old enough to have it they are to old for a bumper.

Oh and the moses basket, will be going straight to cot next time

Hopefully this will help you not to waste all the money i did

Last edited:
Laurababs said:
Thank You so much for that list!! :D :D

With regards to sleeping, i was going to have a nursery for the baby with a cot in, but when hes a new born have him in our room, in a moses basket. Is this ok or do i not need to bother with the moses basket and have him in the cot straight away?

I think that's what most people do! We certainly did although Connie couldn't sleep most of the time so I ended up sleeping downstairs with her in the Moses basket!! She went into her cot for all naps and sleeps at about 8 weeks but I know that's relatively early compared to most people on here.

It depends what suits you. Are you the kind of person who will worry if baby is not with you 24/7? Or will you find it difficult to sleep if she's in your room? Etc etc. Just suck it and see!

I've read different things about this. It is fine for the baby to go into it's cot straight away and it can also mean that they get used to it being THIER room and associate it with sleep and calm etc etc. BUT I know that a lot of new Mums want the baby in their room to keep an eye on them etc and to get up and feed. To be honest, if I get up and feed I will be taking the baby out of the room and into their nursery anyway so I'm thinking that maybe going into the cot straight away is a plan...

I'm slightly confused over what the baby can sleep in in our room. I've seen prams/travel systems that come with a built in carry cot and I don't know whether you can leave that in the pram and the baby use it as a 'moses basket' or whether you can remove it and have it on the floor. Or whether you actually need something on a stand etc. I'm REALLY confused over the sleeping thing to be honest. Going to ask my MW next time I see her as I'm a bit lost and it was years ago since my Mum had us so things might be different now...hmm...

x x

Thanks alot girls :D What is the difference between a cot and a crib? I thought they were pretty much the same thing :oops: Cribs are smaller right? Sorry for the dumb questions!

cribs are a bit bigger then a moses basket sort of an inbetweeny, means they will stay in it longer,
mines was given to me or i wouldnt f bothered with it as i had the moses basket
xx

Oh god I'm so glad somebody else started asking about the cot/crib/moses basket/carrycot thing! I'm sooooo confused. I don't want to buy seventeen different things, but... I wanted to get a bedside cot, save the doubling up, but I don't think we've got room for it. I've heard people say their LO didn't like the moses basket, so a bit worried about relying on that for night and daytime sleep. But if I get a crib then that's three different sleeping places, seems such a waste. Aargghhh!

personaly id go for a crib and cot as a crib lasts longer then a moses basket and i wouldnt put a tiny baby in a cot in its own room right away because if you have to get a million times in the night you will just get peed off!!!

If your getting a pram just use the carrycot for day naps, you can make a nest on the sofa for baby with pillows and blankets but you do this at your own risk of them falling off :lol:
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back