First Midwife Appointment

Betula

Reaction score
I have my first Midwife appointment tomorrow which I'm really looking forward to. But it's an hour long appointment so what are they liable to be doing in that time? I have no idea what to expect. I suppose they'll take blood and weigh me; there won't be any internal examinations yet I hope? I'm just funny about things like that, but I suppose I'll have to get used to it though.

If it's your booking in appointment I think they fill in a lot of paperwork, weigh you, take the first lot of blood and urine sample. They leave you alone down there for now don't worry :hug:

I can't wait for my proper booking in appointment.It's so exciting and makes everything seem more real!
Enjoy it :cheer: :hug:

gosh I can't wait to have mine !
When is normal to have one? I am only 5 weeks so probably have ages to go yet !!!! This is the longest few weeks ever! I have booked a private scan at 7 weeks so am counting days now to that !!!!!

Just seems ages before you know all is ok.... Am the most impatient person anyway so this is so hard to wait !

I went to have my booking in appointment last week when I was nearly 15 weeks - but that is very late (I was living in France before).

The midwife actually sent me away until this week (she did ask me where I wanted to have the baby, and we also listened to its heartbeat).

As I had missed the 12 week test for Downs, she wants me to have the quadruple test but that can only be done from 15 weeks, and I was 14+5 the day I went for the appointment :roll:

Im presuming I may get to go through my medical history and get my bloods etc all done on Wed?

I do know from friends its importnant to take a list of any medical conditions you or your partner and family may have suffered from, especially any slight birth defects, and also a list of any problems, aches and pains etc you might be suffering from!

Good luck at your appointment and I always say go prepared with a list of questions, medical history and what sort of birth you want as they will ask!

Your booking appointment is where you fill in the basics on your maternity notes (mine are green but others are yellow/blue depending where you live).

Your midwife will go through your medical history in general and also ask for key things that have happened in both yours and your OH's family (like still births, diabetes, heart conditions etc).

She'll want to know about how many children and pregnancies you have had. For your children she will want to know how the pregnancy went and how the delivery was etc. and for any other pregnancies she will want to know the circumstances in which they ended.

Then she'll probably check your blood pressure, take blood, check your wee! I've only been weighed once through this pregnancy and that was at my dating scan and only because I didn't know how much I weighed but some people get weighed at their booking apptment too.

She should go through the main do's and don'ts of pregnancy and also give you a list of numbers to ring (I have the midwife's mobile, the midwife office, the labour ward etc).

Its nice to get started and get to know your midwife. If you have any questions be sure to ask - there is no such thing as a stupid question!

awww I cant wait to get mine... do anyone know how long it will take once ive been to the dr and got it confirmed???

Enjoy your booking in appointment. Lots of forms to be filled in but gets the ball rolling.

Mrs B; it's hard to say when you will get your midwife appointment as everywhere seems to do things so differently but I am having mine next week when I will be 10 and a half weeks.
I think the norm is between 8 and 11 weeks. :hug:

Ditto what has been said.

FWIW its policy to not do internals unless there is a medical need. You should go right through prenancy and not have one :) All being well the next time you do will mean its because you are in labour after 37 weeks :)

Good luck.

MrsBrightside said:
awww I cant wait to get mine... do anyone know how long it will take once ive been to the dr and got it confirmed???

Many GP's don't worry about confirming. They just take you are your word. Some will want to test again. Mine didn't bother, said was it planned, I said yes, she said congrats, book and see MW after 8 weeks on the way out :)

Booking in is usually done after 8 weeks. No need to be done before as there really is nothing to be done so early. Its only paperwork and a few other bits then anyways.

my 1st midwife appointment lasted about an hour or so and she just went through loads of forms, that's it. No urine sample, blood pressure, heartbeat or anything and told me that I would get my scan date in the post shortly, which i did.

Nobody confirms anything until you go for your scan!

very frustrating! I actually did nine pregnancy tests - yes i know! I could never understand why people took more than 1 test, but now i know!! I just could not believe it! It was amazing and I kept all the tests in different rooms around the house and kept looking at them every 5 minutes to remind myself that it was true. What a feeling!

It went well! I was seen mainly by a student Midwife who was really nice, and she took my blood and a urine sample. It was mainly just forms apart from that though. My next one is on the 2nd September and I'll get to hear the baby's heartbeat at that one. I was also given lots of leaflets on various testing and preparations for birth.

We had our first midwife appointment last friday, came out pretty disappointed as we thought we would ahve had got confirmation on pregnancy. I know it sounds silly but just really nervous at this precise time. 7 weeks gone but not much has happened in that 7 weeks apart from a bit of tiredness. Is this normal?

We just wish we could get the all clear and confirmed that were having a baby.

Anyone else feel this way?

yes it is frustrating but normally you dont have it confirmed until you have your 1st scan! which does seem a bit daft i know.

The test that the doctor or midwife would do to confirm a pregnancy would be exactly the same kind of test as you buy from the chemist to do at home. The home tests are so reliable these days that they don't need to do any additional testing.

I know its a bit frustrating because nothing much happens in the early days but really there's not much to do . Most pregnancies manage themselves in the early days and as long as you've got the number of your midwife to ring in case you've any questions or worries then you're pretty much set!

Thanks for the advice. Just a really worrying time. The fact that not much has happened in the 1st 7 weeks.

With it being our first pregnancy we just don't know what to expect.

:wall:

In which case I can recommend getting a good book on pregnancy and reading as much as you can (be sure to get one that was published for the country where you live, there are a lot of American books out there).

Ask questions on here, there isn't much that you can ask that won't be answerable by someone here!

What changes to your body did you experience in the first 2 months if any?

beegee1978 said:
What changes to your body did you experience in the first 2 months if any?

For me it was mainly the appearance of morning sickness and also trapped wind which causes cramp like pains. I also lost my appetite ans got bad fatigue. I'm 12 weeks today and I'm still getting these symptoms but not quite as badly. Oh, also my stomach feels solid and looks slightly bloated.
I wouldn't worry, it seems to vary a lot between different people. This is my first pregnancy so I didn't know what to expect either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back