First few days after birth...

I also found that the flow got heavier as I was more active. Although I did bleed for 6 weeks, it sounds like mine wasn't as heavy as some of the others here. I'd also say I only really had 2 stages - medium flow period and reddish brown discharge. Maybe because I haemorrhaged I got rid of a lot of it in one go!! I didn't find it all that stingy to wee and going for number 2 was fine even though I was dreading it!!

I would say I felt really rough the first week, much better in comparison the second week and then a bit tender but otherwise ok the third week. After that I was fine. Most of that was due to the blood loss and after a forceps delivery, I was very delicate down there!! My stitches also got infected so that didn't help either. The bleeding really was the least of my problems!!

About two weeks. They say you bleed for 6 weeks but for most women that’s not true. You go through 3 stages of postpartum bleeding. Stage 1 is bright red very heavy bleeding that usually lasts a few days to a week. Then it’s lighter blood like a period for another week or two, gradually getting lighter. Then it’s this white/yellowish discharge for 1-3 weeks. It has a distinct, unpleasant odour haha.

If you ever overdo it while healing you’ll notice the bleeding picks up a lot so don’t try and do much walking/cleaning in those first two weeks. :)

No one told me any of this either so I was shocked when I stopped bleeding at 12 days but had this manky discharge for another 10 days. Thought I had an infection or something, but no. I don’t know why no one talks about it! A quick google of postpartum bleeding tells us it’s what you should expect... I just expected to have a 6 week period. Nope.
Can't say I had discharge like that with either of my previous babies, so defo doesn't happen to everyone.

Literally everyone will have a different experiance as our bodies react differently to the trauma. Just don't worry about it, but be prepared. Youl be to wrapped up with tiny toes and button nose anyway hehe

If you ever need to change a pad every 15mins you’re hemorrhaging. That’s not normal AT ALL.

That's what I thought!

The blood doesn’t smell but the after birth discharge that starts when the blood stops can be a bit ripe.

Didn't even know about this... good to know so I'm prepared for it if it comes and know it's normal!

My sister also warned me about the blood loss afterwards - I expected some bleeding, but not to the extent that maternity pads existed :shock: its funny how ignorant you feel about all these things.

So i was going to pack 3 in my bag and she laughed and said pack 6. she said she wore two, so one at the front and one at the back. she did have forceps so i am thinking she possibly bled more than if you didnt have forceps? again i know we are all different, but i know i am preparing for the worst.

Ive got throw away knickers packed, some of my own nasty discolored ones (my lucky husband :lol:) and thick pads packed.

Expect the worst and be pleasantly 'surprised' xx

I also found that the flow got heavier as I was more active. Although I did bleed for 6 weeks, it sounds like mine wasn't as heavy as some of the others here. I'd also say I only really had 2 stages - medium flow period and reddish brown discharge. Maybe because I haemorrhaged I got rid of a lot of it in one go!! I didn't find it all that stingy to wee and going for number 2 was fine even though I was dreading it!!

I would say I felt really rough the first week, much better in comparison the second week and then a bit tender but otherwise ok the third week. After that I was fine. Most of that was due to the blood loss and after a forceps delivery, I was very delicate down there!! My stitches also got infected so that didn't help either. The bleeding really was the least of my problems!!

I didn’t have any pain going to the bathroom either even though I had 10 stitches. I was dreading it though!

My sister also warned me about the blood loss afterwards - I expected some bleeding, but not to the extent that maternity pads existed :shock: its funny how ignorant you feel about all these things.

So i was going to pack 3 in my bag and she laughed and said pack 6. she said she wore two, so one at the front and one at the back. she did have forceps so i am thinking she possibly bled more than if you didnt have forceps? again i know we are all different, but i know i am preparing for the worst.

Ive got throw away knickers packed, some of my own nasty discolored ones (my lucky husband :lol:) and thick pads packed.

Expect the worst and be pleasantly 'surprised' xx

Haha do I never knew what maternity pads were for either..
6 pads isn’t many. Does your hospital give them to you? I think you’ll need more, even if your bleeding isn’t heavy. I was in hospital 48hrs after birth and had to change every 3hrs for hygiene (wasn’t leaking or anything).. I’d say bring at least 12.

With your sister having to wear two pads at a time - that’s why I just wore adult diapers instead. Much less hassle lol

Haha do I never knew what maternity pads were for either..
6 pads isn’t many. Does your hospital give them to you? I think you’ll need more, even if your bleeding isn’t heavy. I was in hospital 48hrs after birth and had to change every 3hrs for hygiene (wasn’t leaking or anything).. I’d say bring at least 12.

With your sister having to wear two pads at a time - that’s why I just wore adult diapers instead. Much less hassle lol

Oh wow really :shock: sod it, might just take the whole pack :lol: better to have them, than not. I would rather over compensate then have to wait on things that the nhs necessarily dont have to supply us x

Oh wow really :shock: sod it, might just take the whole pack :lol: better to have them, than not. I would rather over compensate then have to wait on things that the nhs necessarily dont have to supply us x

Good plan. I only say bring that many because if you have tearing and/or stitches (most FTMs do) then you really can’t leave a pad on for long because you’ll increase your chances of infection. x

Reactions: IVW

I was planning on taking a whole pack as I'd rather be over prepared than under! I think if all goes well and you go home same day then a few should be fine, but you never know what could happen and you could up staying over night or whatever.

I don't think the nhs do supply these things for us at all, which is fair enough. Same goes for nappies for the little one, I'll probably pack a good few in hospital bag, and leave a pack in the car in case we end up staying longer than expected.

Reactions: IVW
We were in hospital overnight and to be honest I didn't use half the stuff I brought. They always say bring a dressing gown - why I have no idea as the place is like an oven and that was November!! One thing that was very useful was a snack bag of non perishable food that could be kept in the car until needed. I had enough for me and OH as it really took the pressure off him when he was understandably starving but didn't really want to leave us to go and find breakfast as soon as little man was born. I also felt like I was eating the greatest porridge pot I'd ever had in my life!!:rotfl:

I have been having a little look at maternity pads and up to now, think I’m just going to take my always pads. I have the night time thicker ones anyway and can always send hubby for stock if needed. I just think i’ll Be more comfy and tbh, in my time I’ve had some pretty horrific periods so I’m expecting that but if it’s that bad I think there would be something the matter :lol:

I’d take the whole pack - I had a normal delivery and like the sister mentioned above, doubled up. Also maternity pads are better than normal pads as they’re thicker - means it’s like sitting on a cushion

I'd skip the pads altogether and buy Depends (adult diapers). I have had 4 babies and I only used the Depends with the last one and I was like WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE. By far the best thing out there for the week or 2 after birth. I swear I'm buying them for all my pregnant friends!

I'd skip the pads altogether and buy Depends (adult diapers). I have had 4 babies and I only used the Depends with the last one and I was like WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE. By far the best thing out there for the week or 2 after birth. I swear I'm buying them for all my pregnant friends!

Yep they’re what I used for the first 3 days! So much more comfortable than an enormous pad.

Another first timer question. When you go into labour how much blood do you lose. I know you lose some along with the mucus plug. It's just when I had my bleed it was probably the same amount as when I pee, will it be that much again? I just want to be prepared, I won't be wearing nice pj's for a while!

Another first timer question. When you go into labour how much blood do you lose. I know you lose some along with the mucus plug. It's just when I had my bleed it was probably the same amount as when I pee, will it be that much again? I just want to be prepared, I won't be wearing nice pj's for a while!

If you mean as a bloody show when you lose your plug (if you do) - it’s just a bit of spotting and not everyone has that.

Thanks that's reassuring! I'm not keen on having a shock like that again!

That's very true. I suppose a shock in the 3rd trimester is at least better than one at 24 weeks though. Do you lose a lot of blood in 'normal' labour? It's taken me a week to get my iron levels back up and not need to nap twice a day, I can't imagine trying to recover while having a baby to focus on too!

I was also thinking of maybe just taking night time always as they are huge anyway, but I never thought thicker maternity pads would be good for cushioning! Definitely going to get some proper maternity pads now I think... not sure about the adult diapers though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back