FF on demand or to a set routine?

Emma.b

Reaction score
Hi ladies quick question

My little boy is 5 days old. I was just wondering is it best to feed on demand or feed to set times? At the min he's going roughly every 2 hours up until tonight, he's now been asleep 3 hours and I'm unsure on whether to let him sleep on or wake him up and feed him? If I leave him will be just fall into his own routine or is it best to set one for him?

Thanks in advance for any info xx

We BFd first so when switching to formula we just carried on letting her set the times, even now at 10mths the time she has her milk varys :) x

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

My son fell into his own wee routine & it's worked for us. I'd be inclined to say if your baby is sleeping, let him/her sleep. They'll wake when they want feeding. Just this week O decided he didn't need to wake at 4am for a feed & goes from 9pm-6am. He's 10 weeks old.

Feed bub when he's hungry and don't wake him.

As James had Jaundice we were told not to let him go longer than 3 hours without food in the very early days. We didn't have to wake him though as he was a hungry boy and rarely went longer than 3 hours until he was a good few weeks old. I was expressing and it was bloody hard work to keep up with him :shock:

xxxxxxxx

At the moment it's better to feed on demand as his tummy is so tiny - he'll hopefully start wanting more milk and going longer between feed soon enough. Oh and don't worry, let him sleep - I'm sure he'll let you know when he's hungry!

We fed on demand until our LO worked out her own schedule. Even now (aged 15 months) she varies mealtimes and milk times by 10 mins to half an hour and I just work with that.

I feed my 6week old on demand. a baby will let you when they need foid so dont like waking her up. she can go 4/5 hours in the night without a feed.xxx

I breastfed till 2 weeks, then fed on demand till she was about 6/7 weeks as she then would have an oz per hour and just snack, so I had to get her into a routine and now she has a bottle every 3 ish hours, but when she's having a growth spurt that goes out of the window and she's fed whenever she wants it :) xxxx

I fed my lo every three hours throughout the day and if he was sleeping I would wake him to feed. I fed on demand overnight though.

XX

I have always baby led but she has her own routine 3-4 hourly sometimes she will cluster the feeds on a growth spurt.

At the beginning id say on demand then once theyre a little older around 8 werks or so you will probably notice a patternand can time it a little better

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back