demand feed or feeding routine!!

I would say regardless of whether you are trying to be in a routine or not. When a baby is crying for food he/she needs to be fed. My LO is in a lovely routine but I would never let him cry for food and not feed him. You are doing great - keep it up :hug:

MattM said:
Someone's been reading too much Gina Ford...

Don't knock it - saved my sanity plus, clearly not been reading it as leaving a baby to cry for food or feeding 2 hourly is not anything to do with GF. Sorry, just hate all the negativety, when those books saved me from becoming a nervous reck.

Hi girls,
As most suggest demand feeding, this is what im doing, he's bottle fed now and although he wasn't when he was born up to a month, when i took him for his jabs at 8 weeks he weighed 6.5 kg! 14.3 lb! I didn't know if it was normal or not but the Dr said his weight is on the highest percentage. is this normal? the thing is the Dr didn't give any advice and i didnt like the Dr much so didn't bother to ask him what to do.

I think it also depends on where you live and what the latest thing is that everyone is doing. In the UK everyone is into 'demand feeding' but over here in Switzerland a lot of people feed like your HV said: every 2 hours or so with a dummy in between to settle them. My SIL has done that with all 3 of her kids. They gain weight like all the others, they settle quickly into their own kind of pattern day and night, they snack less, stops them using you as a dummy etc.
I fed like that at the beginning with no problems and if she got hungry earlier then I just fed her earlier. I will probably do that again next time too.
I don't think that your HV is 'full of crap' - she is merely suggesting an alternative way of feeding to demand feeding.
:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back