Fetal SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia)

babybump1111

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am 32 weeks pregnant and at 20 weeks pregnant my baby was diagnosed as having an SVT of 240bpm. I was refered from my local hospital to Kings College Hospital in London and met with the Professor in fetal cardiology there. She has been scanning me ever since weekly (sometimes twice a week). I was originally prescribed Digoxin for 4 weeks (each week they increased the dose) but unfortunately they made no difference to my baby's heartbeat. Next I was prescribed Flecanide and these drugs made me very ill (sick, completele loss of appetite, blurred vision, etc) I was on these for 4 weeks before they took me off them as they was making no difference to her heartbeat. Finally I was prescribed Sotalol (which I am still on) and have been taking these for 4 weeks now and they don't see to be making a difference either. I had another scan with them today and for a 10 minute period her heartbeat was all over the place from 80bpm to 230bpm but then reverted back to just fast (230bmp).

I have now been refered to St Thomas' Hospital for birth and they are hoping she stays in my tummy until at least 36 weeks before they deliver her. I have been told that she will require treatment when she is born at the Evelina Children's Hospital at St Thomas'.

Has anyone else experienced this or similar? Would be great to hear your stories if you have. I am really worried and can't seen to find any info on this.

Please let me know.

Ann

I don't have any experience or advise but I didn't want to read and run... I hope the drugs start to work soon and I'm so glad you seem to have such a dedicated medical team around you!

Do they have any idea what's causing it and do they think it will revert at delivery?

Do you know if baby is a boy or girl or are you staying team yellow?

Sarah
Xx

Hi sweetie,

I don't have any direct experience but I know someone who's baby had SVT (diagnosed at their 20 week scan like you). She was given Digoxin and when that didn't work, she was given Sotalol in addition, so took both together. This worked for a few weeks, but then the SVT came back. She was then given a drug called Amiodarone, which stopped the SVT at 30 weeks.

They had been talking about an early planned c section if baby hadn't reverted back to sinus rhythm or direct injections to the baby (which she wasnt keen on!) but the Amiodarone worked. He did need treatment when he was born but she now has a happy, healthy 4 year old!

xxx

Last edited:
Thank you for your support :)

Sarah - They have no idea what causes it and told me this can happen in 0.04% of pregnancies, so quite rare! They are planning on treating her when she delivers now as they don't think any of the drugs that should cross placenta will work. I'm having a girl, so excited :) just wish I could know that she was ok!

Mishi - Thats good to know about your friends baby. I will tell my consultant about the Amiodarone as they have not mentioned them to me only Digoxin, Flecainide and Sotalol. Especially if they worked for her :) Do you know what hospital she was under?

Ann xxxx

hi hun, you prob have had your little girl now, how was everything?
my pregnancy brought on svt in myself and they have kept and eye on the baby and he seems to be ok, little high heart rate at times, but i think anxiety in ourselfs doesnt help the little ones, im on bisoprlol 2.5mg as and when the svt occur xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back