fed up!

jodie_honey

Reaction score
i have been on the council waitin list since i got preggers but i got a letter last month sayin i was on the urgent priority band (this took ages to achieve)
anyway this mornin they send me a letter offerin me accomodation!
i got in the car and went straight there to look outside only to see that its a 2nd floor maisonette in a well known drugs block of flats.
there is 2 flights of stairs, no ramp or lift and theres no way i could get the pram up and down the stairs.
they have told me if i turn this property down then i might be taken off the high band so now im really worried that im not gonna have somewhere before baby comes.
i was willing to accept anythin providin it was accesible and this isnt.
feel really down now :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

i know u can refuse 2 houses but have to acceptthe third...well thats what it is like down here...explain to them that u wouldnt be able to get up and down the stairs with a buggy shopping baby etc etc they should understand

you can normaly refuse 2 here aswell but not when u are on the urgent band, u have to accept first offer or u get put to the bottom of the list and on standard band :cry:
im gunna ring up tomorrow and explain again coz they shudnt of even offered me that when they know im expecting a baby!

When I first had James I lived in a council flat up 4 flights of stairs with no lifts. After a while I got used to dragging the pushchair up and down the stairs on the back wheels.
I was very lucky as there were girls with babys on the top floor 3 floors up from me! :shock:

Its very common for people with babies to be given accommodation with stairs, they're so short of properties only the disabled can guarantee first floor accomodation.
I'd be more worried about the drugs myself and the people that attracts. The stairs is something you will get used to and find a way to cope with.

Once you're in there you can always apply for a transfer :hug: :hug: :hug:

Ive been screwed over by the council too. I was told in october Id have somewhere by the end of November. Every timeI rang I was fobbed off with some crap. They now tell me the sent a letter to my old address the day after I told them I was moving offering me an 8th floor flat in a vile area miles away from my family. I didnt even get this letter for all I know they didnt send it. Now I wont be offered anything else.

I was registered as homeless when I was pg with James but didn't get offered anything until he was almost 3 months old. Luckily my parents took me in or I would have been screwed.

The council housing situation is pretty bad at the moment, it seems all councils have a shortage of housing stock.
I hope you all get housed soon :hug: :hug:

We have an area near us that is really well known for being a bad area altho it has got a lot better. ive been in a hostel for 3 months now and got offered a 3rd floor flat (thankfully not in a bad area) just before xmas and its still not ready!!! Cant blame you for being fed up i am to maybe you could go and view it and see what its like first then explain ure sitution or accept it for now then put in for a transfer, that way ull still ahve somewhere to live even tho its not ideal until u get a transfer x

I had the same problem when I was pregnant with Tia... they told me I had to accept the property they offered. The one I got was a 2 bed flat in one of the worst areas of Woolwich in London... it was on the third floor, no lift or ramps either, and it also had no form of heating or double glazing. I was offered a tiny fan heater to heat my flat in winter.. :roll:

Its not really fair in my opinion. But they do just take you off the list if you turn it down. :cry: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

muppetmummy said:
Once you're in there you can always apply for a transfer :hug: :hug: :hug:

Just to let you know, i know someone who did just this - took a flat she wasn't happy with in a really rough area, after being told she could transfer and that was 6 yrs ago. She is still in the same flat, and has had another child since then. So it is not always that easy to transfer if you do accept somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back