Favourable cervix v Dialation??

Steelgoddess

Reaction score
hi there just wanted to find out, is there a diff between being dilated and having a favourable cervix?? IE could u be dilated 3 cm but not have a favourable cervix??

Or visa versa...

What does it all mean oh wise ones...

A favourable cervix has kind of moved down, opened a bit and started to soften. Normally it's firm and posterior, right at the back of the birth canal above where the baby's head is in the uterus.

I doubt a dilated cervix couldn't be favourable (although I could be wrong)
If there were 3cms of dilation then it would have to be thin and effaced enough to dilate (aspecially with a first - subsequent babies it's different - I was 2cms and cervix was tucked away so high they needed a ladder to get to it :lol: ) so it would be favourable for induction.

A favourable cervix would be nice and low and in front of babies head, dilated/effaced means it's thinning and opening both are very good signs :)

At my sweep I was 2 - 3cms dilated but still had 1cm to efface.

If it's of any interest, that was Wednesday morning. Friday evening I went into labour, Sunday afternoon I went to hospital and was 6cm, late Sunday night I got to 10 cm and had her Monday morning (forceps delivery, she was stuck and not coming out).

Just to add, although 55 hours of labour sounds horrendous, it was fine. I think it was easier for me than a lot of mums because things moved so slowly so I could adjust to the pain bit by bit rather than suddenly being in a lot of pain. Or maybe I'm just a hard nut :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back