Factor V Leiden?

kaybee

Reaction score
Hi :wave:

Bloods done at my 12 week scan have come back showing that I have the Factor V Leiden gene (hetro), which makes me more prone to clots/DVT etc. Anyone else have this? And how did it affect your pregnancy/birth - did you take baby-asprin or something during your pregnancy?

I've been told I'll have to inject myself with anti-coagulant for six weeks after the birth, when the chance of clotting is greatest, but in the meantime because I'm not overweight, don't smoke, haven't had any previous losses and am not over 35 I'm not classed as high-risk so there's no need to take/do anything, which I was fine with at the time but now I'm starting to worry! :cry: If I was any of the above I'd be prescribed injections or at the very least baby-asprin all the way through...

Consultant never mentioned risks of miscarriage/still birth, just kind of implied that all the risks were to my health once baby is born - hence the injections, however I've been googling it (as you do :lol: ) and it seems there are these additional risks to the baby. She just said to keep active (a bit hard as I have a desk job), follow healthy diet and drink lots of water and I should be fine. I have my screening bloods with my MW tomorrow so I'll ask what she thinks, but I don't know if I'm just being hyper-sensitive and over-anxious being all hormonal and pregnant and that. But then I think, if anything happened I would be so so angry that they didn't treat me throughout, do you know what I mean?

Any advice? Please? Am I just worrying unnecessarily?

I have no idea about this but I didn't want to read and run. Be wary about gaining medical knowledge through the internet unless it is through reading actual medical papers.

I doubt you midwife will know much about it but if you have any questions write them down and then phone your consultant.

Good luck :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back