Factor V Leiden anyone?

kaybee

Reaction score
Apologies to anyone who's read this on my other updated post...

Had result back today from 12 week bloods, at which they did extra tests as my mum had clinical thrombosis when she was a girl, and they've come back saying I have Factor V Leiden which, the consultant explained, means my blood is more prone to clotting. Some people with this condition are given medication right the way through pregnancy, but she said as I look fit and have a normal BMI, providing I drink lots of water and eat healthily and keep active she doesn't think I need any additional meds to thin the blood.

However, for six weeks after baby is born I'll need to inject myself :shock: with an anti-coagulant as this is when the risk of clotting/DVT is greatest.

I came home not too worried, but now I've googled it and found out that it also means that miscarriage in 2nd tri is more common due to clots in the cord (she didn't mention that - I got the impression the risk was with me getting DVT not any risks to the baby), plus it's not recommended to have a home birth due to the extra risks, which I accept. But now I feel like I've gone from one scary trimester into another :( and I was feeling quite positive about my pregnancy until today!

Anyone else have this? And do you take medication or are you having the injections post-birth?

Just feeling a bit sorry for myself, I don't like needles much and feel like I have to be really brave when they just take my blood. K x

Hi there i had to be tested for this due to my auntie having it, unfortunatly they never realised she had it and she lost her baby at full term when she went into labour its terribly sad! they said had they known then they would have given her blood thinning meds and she would have been fine, she also nearly died giving birth because a bloot clot was in the placenta and i dont know the details but her blood got poisoned or something. Sorry i am not trying to scare you, basically now they know you have it they will look after you and you may have blood thinning or aspirin..and you and baby will be fine! best of luck to you :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sorry i just read my post back and it sounds really scary- what happened to my aunt was only because they had no idea she had factor v and did not monitor her bloods etc..and she lives in spain and she didnt find out she was pregnant until 6 months so she didnt have a lot of antenatals..i didnt mean it to sound so frightening! they will take care of you and your baby! :hug: :hug:

That must be very scary for you . Perhaps next time you see your consultant ask them about the information you found and ask them to tell you the reasons why they decided not to give you meds.

hope all works out ok :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I don't have any advice but didn't want to read and run :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sorry to hear this kaybee, am afraid I can't advise as never heard of this before. Like nazmomi said would go back and find out more and even get a 2nd opinion so you can get all the advice you need.
Good luck and keep your head cool about it (sounds like you are) :hug:

I'm sorry I have never heard of it either but I am sure they will take good care of you :hug:

Thanks everyone :hug:

I'm trying to keep it in perspective as apparently 1 in 20 women have this but it's only screened for if family members have had DVT - which seems quite controversial, but there you go :? But the vast vast majority of women go through pregnancy and child-birth with no problems at all, so I'm not too concerned (saying that the thought of jabbing myself scares me!). Surprised no-one else on here seems to have been diagnosed though...

Am seeing community MW Friday for screening bloods, etc, so will pick her brain. Then will pick obstrician's brain when I go for 20 week scan, as I'm surprised they haven't told me to take baby asprin or something.

Looks like I'm going to have to try and eat all healthily again now - I was kind of enjoying using pregnancy as an excuse for extra chocolate and cake!!! :lol:

I was told its passed down from your father and men carry it with no problems but it only affects women in pregnancy or if on the pill, i was screened because my dads sister has it and therefore my dad must have it so its a strong possibilit me my sister or my 3 female cousins could have it, but i was clear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back