Extremely windy baby! Help!!! :'(

i.love

Reaction score
I'm at my wits end!

Ok, I kinda accepted that G still needs feeding every 2.5-3 hrs at night. I haven't slept for longer than a couple of hours for months! But hey, that's ok. But he is also a VERY windy baby, and gets worse and worse. He now wakes up every hour at night because he is uncomfortable with wind. Now 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep is a treat for me! This is too much!

He wakes up and starts wriggling from side to side, pulling his legs up to his chest and crying. I then need to come and massage his tummy. I then pull his legs up for him and press his tummy with his knees iykwim. He then does some huge farts and usually settles after that.

Every hour! Why, why does he have so much air inside??

I tried giving him long tummy rubs before bed (clockwise and the windmill), giving him infacol, carrying him with hs legs pulled to his chest, feeding him laying on my back (I bf and I think I have quite a forceful letdown).... I do not eat mushrooms, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, prunes or dried apricots. What else can I do?

Ok I confess I do not burp him every time after feed at night. He is ot easy to burp and it takes half of my precious sleep time, and sometimes doesn't happen at all. It does wake him up though and I then spend ages putting him back to sleep.

We think his wind got worse two weeks ago when we started introducing him to solids. We probably will stop now, but surely long run this is not the answer!

I might be able to take him to the doctors in the end of next week (I don't drive so it's not that easy), maybe there are some medicines they could prescribe? I doubt it...

Anyone has the same problem? Any suggestions? I really don't know what to do, it gets worse and worse!

Sorry for the long post!

Last edited:
No haven't yet - last time I was in boots they have run out. Do you think it could work better than infacol?

I haven't had much experience but I know alot of mums swear by it. It's worth a go :hugs:

My lo had the same problem a month or so back but it has passed now. My HV said that windy farts is when the wind travels down to come out that end, but that this makes the lo more uncomfortable and in pain do it is better to burp and bring it up than it is for it to go down x :) I used to burp lo frequently in night and he still slept after :)

P.s gripe water and Infacol helped. You have to use Infacol before every feed for it to work. Last I knew gripe water wasn't in production (problem with ingredients). It may be now tho!

Williamsmummy, thanks for your reply! how old was your lo?

Oh I hate burping him! But I should make more effort I guess.

Mine is like this all day and night!!!! Infacol and gripe water don't work. I spent hours trying to get the wind up sometimes to the point where we are round to the next feed. I feel your distress hun.

D can be like this and seems to have good nights and bad nights. I've found that holding him in the tiger in the tree hold really helps. D is also able to roll onto his tummy (which he seems to do all night!) and this helps him too. We used infacol but found after a while it didn't seem as effective so changed to dentinox which we're slowly stopping now as he seems better. X

Leannesxb it's so annoying isn't it? :(

At least your lo is 1 month old and will very likely just grow out of it soon. Mind is 5.5 months, he should be fine by now and he is only getting worse! I just don't get it.

D can be like this and seems to have good nights and bad nights. I've found that holding him in the tiger in the tree hold really helps. D is also able to roll onto his tummy (which he seems to do all night!) and this helps him too. We used infacol but found after a while it didn't seem as effective so changed to dentinox which we're slowly stopping now as he seems better. X

Oh yes I tried this hold... G is 8.5 kg now though, getting rather heavy to carry around like this! It didn't really seem to make much difference anyway...

So would you say that dentinox is more effective?...

G can only roll from tummy to his back. And crawl - he seems to do everything out of order :) I put him on his tummy for a short sleep sometimes and it does help, but then I'm afraid to sleep myself and just sit there watching him... I'm sure it's nice for him but doesn't help me much :)

If he can roll tummy to back I'd let him sleep on his tummy. Tyler had bad wind one night and it really helped. He just had a gro bag and nothing near him and he was in his cot.

I'm quite lucky D is only 6kg so still able to do the hold. I think the dentinox helped but so did the infacol to begin with. I also think he's better at getting rid of the wind if that makes sense.
I'd say if he can roll tummy to back then it should be fine leaving him to sleep on his tummy if hes really windy as he can roll over if he needs to. I've left D a few times on his tummy which has worried me but he was fine x

Chloe's a very windy baby too, I've found if all else fails walking up and down the stairs with her upright works wonders, with the added bonus of it being great excersise lol

As others have said if he can roll over he should be fine to sleep on his tummy :)

Stairs... Interesting :) shame we don't have any!

Not sure about sleeping on tummy - I'm scared :( official guides are not to do it before lo is one...

I really feel your pain.

We thought our LO was extremely colicky he done all the things your LO does & more. We tried gripe water, infacol all the other techniques, we found out later he has reflux so thats why he did it.

The only thing I can think of you trying is to wind after every single feed. I know its a pain & takes away your sleeping time but it might help in the long run. Also....this is a reflux tip but works with colic (the 2 are almost exact symptoms) but could you try holding him upright for 30/40mins after a feed...it means it gets digested a bit better. You could be going round in circles, coz your LO is feeding so much, its increasing the wind & which in turn wakes him & he wants more milk.

Hope you see an improvement

xxxxxxx

Lay him across your knees so he has the pressure on his tummy and then rub/pat his back this always works with my lo

Lm83 30-40 mins... Gosh! Thanks I'll try that xx

Cazzlou I do this sometimes... I find it works better for us if he is siting up though. But then it wakes him up...

Last edited:
Apparently thats how long it takes for milk to be digested, although I think you'd only need to do between 20-30 if your BF'ing. Formula is 40 as its digested slower.

Its hard doing it at night feeds, I need to get up and make myself a coffee before I start & read a book

xxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back