Excercise after birth

Maybe_mummy

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how long after having a baby can you start excercising?? I had a natural birth with stitches which I think have healed well apart from some piles (TMI!!) but i want to do like a dvd or some sort of fitness class. Ive read about people having a 6 week check but my dr's dont do it. I try take Alyssia out every day for a walk and walking my dogs but want to try working on my tummy but in the leaflet from the hostpital it says no sit ups for 3 months after birth?!

Def don't do proper exercise until at least 6 weeks, Im surprised you don't get a check because your abs can come apart and not be back together which has happened to me so i saw a physio and wasn't allowed to do much exercise until a month ago when I got the all clear incase I got a hernia. Im a bit of an addict and worked out until the day I gave birth so was hard for me. Im on my phone so can't see how old your baby is but if you exercised while pregnant just take exercise the opposite way round so start with, so what you could do at 9 month pregnant do 6 weeks after birth and gradually work up. It takes a few weeks for your body to realise its not pregnant so your temp, heart rate and bp stay up for a while, and your ligaments are still very flexible so not as supportive. You should work on your core muscles first not the outer layer which sit ups and crunches work so things like pelvic floor and deep tummy stuff that you would do in pilates work best at knitting your tummy muscles back together then later you can add the sit ups in, 3 months is probably right if you do core stuff first that knits it back together. you have to be careful not to rush as your tummy muscles go through so much during pregnancy and you don't want to cause more damage or a hernia.
Hope that kind of helps! Walking is great to start with if that's what you have been doing x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I thought it was 12 weeks, although I didn't do anything for 10months, lol! X

I've just had my 6 week check and my dr said I can go back to all exercise as normal, just stop if feel anything in my tummy or around my scar as I had a c-sec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back