Episiotomy

nori

Reaction score
Hello,

After my obstetrician appointment it appears i may well be having an episiotomy at an angle so it doesnt tear to my rectum (where my crohns has been quite severe). Was going to just tear naturally but they dont want me to do that.

Just wondering if its worth me getting those gel pad things for stitches now? Is there anything else which helps with the pain afterwards?

Thanks in advance,

Claire x

I found having a bath with Savlon helped a lot. I was scared at first incase it hurt (sounds stupid thinking back on that as I'd just given birth but I was terrified! lol) but it was the opposite, it helped a lot. Not sure about the gel pads as I didn't use them. I just had the Savlon bath plus co-codamol.

all i had was paracetamol :lol: that and sitting on my round BF cushion!!!lol.

i'd say get them,as I've heard they can be quite useful buty it's up to you :)

I would say 'yes'! I had a 2nd degree tear and they were fab.

I also found salt or lavender baths (with either lots of salt or lavender oil) really soothing.

Valentine Xxx

The ones that go inn the freezer? Definitely! I decided against buying them before birth so had to send OH to get them when I got home.

Legs in the air and air to your bits is the best medicine, as well as those suggested above, and also wear cotton underwear so you can breathe betther down there :hug: :hug: :hug: I never used gel pads but I didn't find my stitches hurt much at all after a few days :)

I should perhaps add that I was stitched with the newer way where it is all one thread (running stitch presumably :rotfl: ) and on day 3 the beginning stitch or so of it pulled right through :puke: (the pain!!!) . I hadn't been bad before that, it was after that that I was in agony for weeks. So you could freeze some sanitary towels and if you want them then send OH to the shop for the gel.

Redshoes said:
Legs in the air and air to your bits is the best medicine, as well as those suggested above, and also wear cotton underwear so you can breathe betther down there :hug: :hug: :hug: I never used gel pads but I didn't find my stitches hurt much at all after a few days :)
Well Said :rotfl: Iloved the first part. and I totally AGREE.

Actually, a valuable advice i got from my gp was to make sure the area is always dry (which was difficutl with a period) but the way to do that is dry ur parts with cool air from the hairdryer after every wash. it worked like magic!

I tore my bowel muscle, grazed, had an episiotomy AND a 3rd degree tear (the works!!)

My lower parts are in bits lol :lol: I found having a bath with lavender oil was great, keeping it clean and dry is also very good.

I didn't try the gel pads but the pain that I suffered with all of that, I reckon they'd of helped.

xx

I found that the massive sanitary towels you had to wear actually helped "cuhion" the area. I have never heard of the gel but would give it a try this time - I was living on paracetamol last time.
We also have a hand held bidet - like a small shower head - attached to the toilet which was great to make surfe the area was always very clean. MyMIL told me that when she was in the maternity hospital they were standard equipment for episitomy's. It's also now a godsend for sluicing the nappies so was a great investment all round :cheer: Try not to worry about it too muuch though - it didn't last for long.

i found salt baths to be good and sitting on a nice comfy cushion

My midwife lent me a special cushion to sit on that you have to pump up, it really helped..Before I got it I had to stand up to eat my dinner :lol:

poppy160 said:
My midwife lent me a special cushion to sit on that you have to pump up, it really helped..Before I got it I had to stand up to eat my dinner :lol:

You can rent these from the NCT - they are called Valley cushions and are quite cheap - just look on the website, there is a phone number you ring and they tell you where your nearest rep is.

I used the gel pads and they were really good, I would def recommend them. Also I agree that maternity pads help with the pain as they are so cushioned.

Also, get pain relief when you leave the hospital - I was given Voltarol which are a really strong ibuprofen type drug (I can't remember the name of that type) I took these and paracetamol.

Lots of baths are good and if you have a bidet use it after everytime you go to the loo. They had these in the hospital and the MW told me to wee in it while the water was running over my bits. If you don't have one, keep a jug/small bottle of water to pour over as you wee to dilute the wee and stop it stinging - I had to use a bottle as I couldn't aim right with the jug and kept soaking the floor and my trousers!

Sorry lots of advice there!

Thanks for your replies ladies.. will get the gel pads just incase then.. I am praying i dont tear from front to back.. its the only thing im really worried about! Have had enough problems with my bowels to last me a lifetime!

Claire x

My MW told me to dilute a couple of drops of lavender oil in a teaspoon of milk (it mixes in and dosent sit on the top) I used to have a cup of water with a few drops in and poured it on myself when I was doing a wee :oops: stops the stinging!

I had a third degree tear and an episotomy :(

Best advice I was given (and used) was if weeing was painful to do it in the bath or shower. Also to use maternity pads when having a poo - just hold one against the stitching as you are having a poo and it takes the feeling of putting pressure (and the worry they will burst) away. Got to say this was the best bit of advice throughout my whole pregnancy/ birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back