Episiotomy Stitches Split!

Discussion in 'Postnatal Questions' started by Mrs CW, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Mrs CW

Mrs CW Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've not been on in a while as have had a few rough days! Even though I was told it doesn't happen often my episiotomy stitches burst after 8 days with infection and very little healing. I think they started to go when I went for my first poo (sorry TMI) after 4 days as there was loads of blood and the next day I was in agony! I have since the beginning been doing everything they recommended and I've been on antibiotics for 7days which have helped but the pain is now coming back and I dared to have a look today and its still an open wound but not inflammed and looks clean. I keep having to go to the hospital which my mw has said is really unusual and this has worried me. They've said if it doesn't heal I may need to be restitched and go be back to gynae clinic. Has anyone else experienced this?

x x x

2. Lilelephant

Lilelephant Well-Known Member

Don't really have any useful advice but didn't want to read and run :hug:

Sorry u r having probs Hun! Hope it starts to heal up soon xxx

3. pinkyprincess

pinkyprincess Well-Known Member

That sounds terrible! Really hope you can get it sorted!

4. Cazzlou

Cazzlou Well-Known Member

Ouch my friend had this happen she eventually had it operated on and re-stitched.

Hope you get sorted soon. X

5. Mrs CW

Mrs CW Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping I don't need to be re-operated on but it's starting to get sore again so I think I might have to be. I'll hopefully find out on Tuesday! Thanks for the replies x

6. Sassysugar

Sassysugar Well-Known Member

I'm going through this too, so please don't feel alone. I had an episiotomy and my stitches came undone after a few days :-( I was in a lot of pain for quite a few weeks and also got an infection. I went to drs and also saw a consultant and both agreed it wasn't right down there. Consultant said they normally wait til 6 months before refashioning (restitching) the area. I really don't want to have this done but it needs to be :-(

Sending you a hug, the things we go through as women

7. Mrs CW

Mrs CW Well-Known Member

Thanks hun I'm on my second lot of antibiotics as the infection isn't clearing. I've had a look and although some of it is healing it's still open in places and seems quite deep. I've got a clinic appt for the 31st so hopefully get some more answers then. Hope you get sorted soon x