Episiotomy pain

SR35

Reaction score
Hi there, I was wondering if anybody who has had an episiotomy could offer me some advice. I gave birth a week ago and had a ventouse delivery which required episiotomy. It has been painful obviously since then but it wasn't stinging when I had a wee and the midwife said it seemed okay. But today we went for a walk with the baby for about half an hour (I'd just been resting really prior to this) and since then it has felt much worse and has started stinging when I go to the toilet. Do you think this was caused by going for a walk and have I done some damage to it? I tried looking in the mirror but couldn't see much. It's just so painful, it's so hard trying to look after a newborn feeling like this. Thanks for reading and any suggestions xx

Hey. I had an episiotomy after a forceps delivery. I was in alot of pain for few weeks after. Soon as I felt ok I'd go out but couldn't go far because it would start to hurt !! I found putting ice in a pillow case and having down there (so glam !!) Helped alot. I don't have a bath only a shower but am sure my midwife said lavender oil when u bathe !! Get the midwife to keep checking it's all healing ok. Ano u prob feel like it's never gonna get better but it does. Took about 6-8 weeks for me to feel half normal again !! But everybody's body heals diffo. Hope u feel better soon hun x

I too had a ventouse with episiotomy deliver with my 9lb7oz son. I feel your pain. But as mentioned it can take a good 6/8 weeks to heal. I used to have Luke warm salt baths but mine was 11 years ago, I'm not sure if they would still advise this or not so best to ask MW. Also keep eye out for infection, if you think it's maybe starting to have a smell, get your MW to have a look at it. Take your time, don't do anything too strenuous. X

Sounds like you've just done too much too soon . I did the same, felt fine so went for a walk around town, I was in agony after and my bleeding got heavier. Lavender oil mixed with milk (to disperse the oil through the water) was amazing, really soothing and helped me heal really quickly. Does make you smell like an old lady though! ;) it does get better.x

Ditto what the others said. It sam take a while to heal. Mine was uncomfortable for a few weeks. Get it checked out if you're worried tho as it's important it heals correctly. Bloody awful things x

My episiotomy felt ok for the first week after having my little girl (via forceps) and then it started really hurting. Turned out it had a bit of an infection. Got antibiotics and within a day I felt so much better. xx

Thanks everyone, it sounds like I prob shouldn't have tried walking too far yet. I may just ask the midwife to check them again to be on the safe side, I have also had a bath with the lavender drops and put some drops in my pads as somebody suggested so hopefully it might start to ease off a bit soon, fingers crossed!

I had one too and the physio dept recommended a bath with lavender and tea tree oil. Haven't done it yet cause I keep forgetting to ask my Dr about it...... Pregnancy brain continues! Hope you are feeling better soon :)

Yes I used lavender and tea tree oil drops in warm baths and in a jug of water for douching the nethers after toilet trips. Like the others have said it sounds like you have overdone it - I didn't do much else other than out to the bin in the first 2 weeks as was tender cos of the episiotomy. Xx

So mine was over 2 years ago and I can still remember the awful pain.
I was cut without anesthetic due to it having to be quick.
I couldnt walk or sit for around 2 weeks. Laying was the only position I was comfy in.
Even after I went out 2 weeks later I had that pulling feeling for a few months.
I had no infection and I used the lavender in milk etc.
Just needs time to heal x

Distilled witch hazel all the way! Get it in a glass bottle from chemist. Works wonders for swelling and antiseptic. Soak a pad in it and sit around and let it do its magic! Honestly, its a god send. It always stings as it heals but get someone to have a look if you think its infected x

It sounds like classic 'too much too soon' hun - I did the same. Two weeks after my son was born went for a leisurely two mile stroll which felt okay but the next day I was in agony. Tea tree oil baths (mix the drops of oil with an egg up of milk first) and arica tablets worked wonders. I cannot recommend arnica enough having used it for many surgeries etc. and it is wonderful. Also, stick some sanitary towels in the freezer (maybe even wet them with water first and squeeze) and use as ice backs for your bits! Put them in a sock or something first and then sit on it.... Sounds insane, but worked a treat! Good luck, and congrats on your baby! Xxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back