Epidural

Sorry hijacking your thread, if you tear do you have to have an epidural? Are there no alternatives?

Nicki I tore sooooo badly, honestly it was so bad I was being repaired in theatre for 3 hours so that was my only option, if it was a small tear then they repair it there and then but mine wasn't ... it was literally up, down, in and out and took 52 stitches and lots of rebuilding xx

Regarding the risks, i don't think anyone has done a study on the effects the stress has on the baby after a long and painful birth? We only have facts on how epidural can have negative effects ( as fas as i know ) but i believe either option has risks involved as mentioned previously.

Yes, but you have to pay if you want c section in the UK right? I definitely don't want that option though unless necessary.

I am sure there is a difference between how mw act etc. and of course they should be honest but I only go after what I have heard and read and my own opinion is the risks can be a bit exaggerated ( I am no doctor so I don't know but this is what I feel after doing my research ). Either way, lets agree to disagree ;)

xx
No, you don't have to pay x

Yes, but you have to pay if you want c section in the UK right? I definitely don't want that option though unless necessary.

I am sure there is a difference between how mw act etc. and of course they should be honest but I only go after what I have heard and read and my own opinion is the risks can be a bit exaggerated ( I am no doctor so I don't know but this is what I feel after doing my research ). Either way, lets agree to disagree ;)

xx
No, you don't have to pay x

Really? But I know someone that has said she wants a c section from the start of her pregnancy and had to pay a couple of thousand pounds? xx

Really? But I know someone that has said she wants a c section from the start of her pregnancy and had to pay a couple of thousand pounds? xx
That would only be the case if she went private and I think there are only 2 or 3 in the UK. Certainly do not have to pay for any operations under the NHS unless it is cosmetic x

That would only be the case if she went private and I think there are only 2 or 3 in the UK. Certainly do not have to pay for any operations under the NHS unless it is cosmetic x

got that wrong then, thanks! :)

I think there is a difference between stating the facts about risks which is imprtant for women know so that they can make an informed decision, and scaremongering. It only makes sense that MWs are instructed to encourage you to consider the lowest risk options first but should also feel free to make their own choices. I'm sure there are some MWs that dont get the balance right.

The US also has a high epidural and CS rate and has some of the worst statistics in the developed world so I think there are many factors involed. By the way by law any woman is entitled to a CS in the UK.

xx

Sorry, I didnt want to come across as disagreeing with your choice to have an epidural. The risks of epidurals are pretty well established and I think anyone who has one should be aware of what they are. That doesn't mean that they are huge, happen to everyone or outweigh the benifits for lots of women. I'm sure some women find it annoying to be told the basic facts about the risks when they have already made up their mind but I'm sure some MWs exagerate the risks too. Any choice we make about labour and birth comes with risks and benefits and I am a big believer in a women having choices.

You can get a CS under the NHS without medical reason. An individual consultant can refuse but should refer you to someone who will do a CS. A lot of women dont realise this and sometimes you have to be rather persistant but they are required to give you a CS if thats what you want.

I think there is a difference between stating the facts about risks which is imprtant for women know so that they can make an informed decision, and scaremongering. It only makes sense that MWs are instructed to encourage you to consider the lowest risk options first but should also feel free to make their own choices. I'm sure there are some MWs that dont get the balance right.

The US also has a high epidural and CS rate and has some of the worst statistics in the developed world so I think there are many factors involed. By the way by law any woman is entitled to a CS in the UK.

xx

Sorry, I didnt want to come across as disagreeing with your choice to have an epidural. The risks of epidurals are pretty well established and I think anyone who has one should be aware of what they are. That doesn't mean that they are huge, happen to everyone or outweigh the benifits for lots of women. I'm sure some women find it annoying to be told the basic facts about the risks when they have already made up their mind but I'm sure some MWs exagerate the risks too. Any choice we make about labour and birth comes with risks and benefits and I am a big believer in a women having choices.

You can get a CS under the NHS without medical reason. An individual consultant can refuse but should refer you to someone who will do a CS. A lot of women dont realise this and sometimes you have to be rather persistant but they are required to give you a CS if thats what you want.

Thanks, no your reply was fine and you came across nice :). CS is not something I want unless something happens ( prefer it over forceps ) or if I had a medical condition. For me having a section the negatives outweigh the positives xx

Last edited:
The only person I know to have had a bad experience with an epidural is my friend Rachel, she is absolutely crippled after an epidural and she can barely walk now and it is all down to really bad damage to her spine... just one of the risks that is to come with it, but of course if you're sure you want one and nothing is going to change your mind then that is your right, and nope you don't have to pay! xx

The only person I know to have had a bad experience with an epidural is my friend Rachel, she is absolutely crippled after an epidural and she can barely walk now and it is all down to really bad damage to her spine... just one of the risks that is to come with it, but of course if you're sure you want one and nothing is going to change your mind then that is your right, and nope you don't have to pay! xx

I am sorry about your friend but then there are risks with births no matter what. What about others that are traumatised after a long and painful birth or after being cut without epidural and the potential damage that can cause? I know of those as well.

I can understand why some want to go natural but for me its like going through surgery without anaesthetic.. Sure there are risks with any anaesthetic but it doesn't prevent me from having it when i have surgery. X

Re epidurals, risks and labour experiences, also make sure to check which kind your hospital can offer - it s possible to administer it in a way you can still stand/walk but often not available as it requires more monitoring.

Personally I'm not a fan as stats show that it often leads to further intervention, but I might eat my words a few days from now. ;) Just go with what feels right for baby and you in the moment - I know people who felt they absolutely needed one, and others who were fine without, so I guess it's really hard to tell before you get there.

Re epidurals, risks and labour experiences, also make sure to check which kind your hospital can offer - it s possible to administer it in a way you can still stand/walk but often not available as it requires more monitoring.

Personally I'm not a fan as stats show that it often leads to further intervention, but I might eat my words a few days from now. ;) Just go with what feels right for baby and you in the moment - I know people who felt they absolutely needed one, and others who were fine without, so I guess it's really hard to tell before you get there.

Thanks :) I respect everyone's decision and feel happy with mine. Have spoken to my cousin today who had one with epi and one without and she said she would definitely have another Epidural if she has another child. My mother said her epidural was amazing. I am aware there will always be 2 sides of this but for me this is an easy choice.

My view is there are risks with ALL birth choices. If Epi restricts the ability for me to move around and potentially causes birth to slow down etc my conviction is stress, being anxious, being in agony cant be that great either since with an epi I would be able to rest and enjoy the birth more. I know billions and billions of ladies around the world go though labor without any pain killers and have done through history but we live in a part of the word where we are lucky enough to have other options available. I could have gone through my dental surgery without pain killers if I had to but no way this was my choice!! :). Like my midwife friend told me, you wont get a medal for doing it without any pain killers and birth has risks no matter what option you choice so don't let anyone tell you differently.

Who knows, I might change my mind on the day or perhaps there will be no anesthetist available so I will have an open mind and not to much of a strict plan since I am sure it rarely goes to plan :)

xx :)

I think that if you have it early enough in labour, there is a good chance you have some feeling back when pushing to reduce risk of forceps being required. I wouldn't rule it out myself, however, if I had been in labour a while already, I wouldn't have an epi as I would want some control over my pushing. Good Luck x

I think that if you have it early enough in labour, there is a good chance you have some feeling back when pushing to reduce risk of forceps being required. I wouldn't rule it out myself, however, if I had been in labour a while already, I wouldn't have an epi as I would want some control over my pushing. Good Luck x

Good to know! Thanks and good luck! will give an update at some stage how it went and what happened in the end :)

Hi. I haven't read all the posts.

I have laboured both with and without an epidural. I had an epidural with my first born with no regrets at all. I was induced as he went to term+14 without showing signs of wanting to come out. I was recommended an epi due to the drip doubling up the contractions and told they'll just get horrendous. I had it relatively early on and glad I did due to various labour complications - it would have been horrific not having the pain relief.

My second baby was the opposite, came on her own, as natural as can be, born in water. BUT due to having a retained placenta I ended up having an epidural anyway to the sodding thing out. I have to admit, at the time I was ticked off - wasn't adverse to having an epi again and had half wished I'd just had the epi to start with.

In hindsight however, I'm so glad I laboured naturally without any pain relief. It wasn't because it proved anything at all, I simply liked that I got to feel my baby coming out that time and felt more in control.

Hi. I haven't read all the posts.

I have laboured both with and without an epidural. I had an epidural with my first born with no regrets at all. I was induced as he went to term+14 without showing signs of wanting to come out. I was recommended an epi due to the drip doubling up the contractions and told they'll just get horrendous. I had it relatively early on and glad I did due to various labour complications - it would have been horrific not having the pain relief.

My second baby was the opposite, came on her own, as natural as can be, born in water. BUT due to having a retained placenta I ended up having an epidural anyway to the sodding thing out. I have to admit, at the time I was ticked off - wasn't adverse to having an epi again and had half wished I'd just had the epi to start with.

In hindsight however, I'm so glad I laboured naturally without any pain relief. It wasn't because it proved anything at all, I simply liked that I got to feel my baby coming out that time and felt more in control.

Thanks, great to hear both birth went well! I have heard the drip they give you to start labor can give much worse contractions. xx

I have a similar mindset to Maria - ie why suffer lol. Out of my 3 births so far I've had one without epidural (anaesthetist not available when I asked and then it got too late) one where the epidural only partially worked (down one side) and one where I was too advanced in labour so although I was given the epidural she was born half an hour later so it didn't take effect. This time I'm being induced and have heard the contractions are stronger so will definitely not rule out an epidural although I am a bit concerned that it may not work properly again. I've heard of a new drug called remi fentinol (not sure how it's spelt) which is a self administered morphine based drug and is supposed to be very effective. Apparently my hospital only offer it occasionally - not sure why but I will be asking about it. Good luck everyone whatever you choose 😊 xx

I decided early on that I didn't want an epi. I really don't like the idea of anyone injecting something into my spine. I know the risks of complications are pretty low, but for me the consequences if it does go wrong are enough to stop me. Also I watched a birth on TV where the woman had an epi - and it was just.... odd. She was being told 'okay you're having a contraction now, do this'. I want to know what my body is doing. This whole process feels scarily out of my control as it is, I want to retain what little control I can!

I really hope that the pain doesn't push me towards having an epi when the time comes, because at no point have I changed my feelings on it in all these months waiting. Hoping for a water birth and will be all over the gas and air. Fingers crossed that is enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back