Epidural Side Effects

poppy160

Reaction score
Hope this is in the right section!
Just wondering if anybody suffered any side effects after having an Epidural? When I had one it only worked on my left side, and for the last few days I've had quite bad lower abdominal pain (left side), which goes round to the left side of my lower back and sometimes shoots down my left leg. I also get sharp stabbing pains in the center of my stomach (also low down). These feel like the contractions I had on the right side during labour (apart from the stabbing pains), only milder! Does this sound normal?

It could be after pains hun, I didn't get any but I know some people suffer quite bad with them! You'd be best to speak to your MW/HV or Doctor hun!

Are you BF as this can increase after pains?

I had an epidural & my lower back still aches, its more like a niggly ache tho rather than pain to be honest.

I didnt suffer with those after a epidural, I suffered from stiffness for a while and back pain for a good 18 months.

I am breastfeeding and notice it more when she is feeding, but it's been alot better today. I've had a busy weekend so maybe I overdid it a bit?

only thing i had was really really bad backache for months

i have backache a lot and i haven't felt my left thigh since! :shock: :shock:

I would chat with your HV or GP about it if it gets too painful or you get very worried about it, it could very well be after pains, and not a result of the epidural as others have said :hug: :hug: :hug:

I lost feeling in my right thigh for a good 2months after mine Kim, so hopefully you'll get yours back soon too :hug: :hug: :hug:

My epidural also only worked one side like your's but I had forceps so had a total block in the end. My back killed after and I had tummy pains too for ages. I had an episiotomy too and if I stood up for too long my ninny felt so heavy and like all my insides would fall out :shock: Not pleasant. When Isaac was home we put him straight in his own room and I slept on his bedroom floor for the first few months. This helped my back I think but it still hurt for a long time after. I still have a tiny scab too where it was placed in my back, I try and stop myself picking it.

my side effects are very odd
i get a burning pain at the point where the epidural went in, it feels like im laying on a radiator boiling hot but when oh feels it, its normal :?
for a few weeks after i also had terrible back ache :(

I get a sharp stabbing pain when I bend a certain way in my back :wall:

Sounds like a combination of after pains (not related to epidural) and epidural back ache, it will take a while to pass hun. You can take paracetamol which should help with the after pains. The back ache may last longer - it did for me. The epidural also only worked for me on one side and like Lou I also had an episiotomy - I REFUSED to have epidurals with my other two kids for good reasons! The pain was certainly not that much worse and at least my recovery was a lot easier.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Hope you feel better soon, hun

Lisa

im suffering bad back ache now, alot worse then with Alana. but im thinking its more to do with having 4 epis in, my spine is so black and bruised

mamichuli said:
The epidural also only worked for me on one side and like Lou I also had an episiotomy - I REFUSED to have epidurals with my other two kids for good reasons! The pain was certainly not that much worse and at least my recovery was a lot easier.

I wouldn't have an Epi again should I have anymore kids (I don't want to at the moment!!) I know they would probably get it right next time and it was just bad luck but it was the worst experience ever and I wouldn't want to go through that again. I'm feeling alot better though, thanks for all the replies. The pain has completely gone, aswell as my stitch pain and bleeding, I feel so lucky to have healed so quickly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back