entitled to pay even if I am on probabtion?:s

melanieyeah

Reaction score
Hey, I am thinking so far ahead its untrue, im not even pregnant yet, but I was just wondering what I would be entitled to? I work 25 hours a week at a company I have been with for 8 months. I was a christmas temp with 3 other people, but have been kept on. I was told at christmas we were on probation for a month- now its 8 months down the line and we havent heard anything more about it. If I am still on probabtion by the time i have to take my maternity leave, am I entitled to my maternity pay, can they just sack me straight off? I will have to find out when my probabtion ends, but I was wondering if they could fire me if they found out I was pregnant, I heard when you are on probation, you dont need an excuse to fire someone. thanks for your help! :D

Hi Melanieyeah

If you are dismissed because you are pregnant, regardless of how long you have been there, it is sex discrimination and unfair dismissal. You would have a claim against your employer for loss of earnings and damages.

The good thing is that with 8 months service, even if you got pregnant this month you could probably conceal it from them for 4 months thereby giving you 12 months service. Twelve months service puts you in a slightly stronger position.

Some new legislation came in last year called statutory dispute resolution which effectively put an end to probation periods because you have to go through a minimum process to dismiss someone. In other words, if someone calls you into their office and sacks you, it is illegal.

Have your employers provided you with terms and conditions of your employment? They should provide you with this (sometimes called a statement of particulars) within 2 months of you starting.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions please ask.

Helen

you are fab Helen thankyou! I thought they could sack me straight off without an excuse, so Its good to know my rights. My boss is leaving, and its him who has the power to take us off probabtion, so I may ask him to take us off it before he goes, im not waiting around for another boss who doesnt even know us, to get used to us and then take us off-it could take another 5 months. I will ask him nicely. I have a fat tummy anyway so i could no doubt hide a pregnancy for a few months.. although its the morning sickness/nausia that will be hard to disguise lol :p
thanks for your advice Helen, much appriciated <3 xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back