Enough love to go around?

Tiny Sue

Reaction score
Hey folks -

Anyone expecting their second child and worried about this?

I love my daughter to bits but I remember the amount of attention she needed as a baby - is it possible that with all the attention we will lavish on a new baby that I will not have enough love for two? Or possibly that I will love one more than the other?

Weird and scary questions...

Sue

I know exactly what you mean, Sophie is a demanding little girl at the best of times and constantly wants 110% of my attention and I am worrying myself senseless how I am going to cope with the demands of a newborn & Sophie.

I don't want Soph to feel left out in the slightest and I'm extreely worried, so I look forward to the replies too!

I'm pregnant with my second.. and I worry about it everyday.

But you remember what it was like being a new Mum? Maybe you worried a little then too, wondering how you were going to cope, or how you were going to give your baby enough love and attention? And when the baby was here, you just did it naturally.. in a way you never thought was possible.. and you know what..? It'll happen again. If you love your children.. you'll do the right thing. :cheer:

Try not to worry about it. Get you other LO as involved as possible.. you'll be great! :D

Im pregnant with my first baby too so I cant actually help you from personal experience but Ive been a nanny for 13years now so Ive worked for a lot of parents who have had this worry. I hope I can reassure you a bit and say they all without exception thought the same thing "will I be able to love this baby as much as my first" and "will I be able to give the first one enough attention" and every one of them found they were worrying about something that never happened.

They all said that as soon as they held the baby they felt the same love for him or her as they did for their first child, you just seem to as nature takes over. You dont have a limited amount of love, you can love loads of people in different ways so try not to worry too much.

As for the first one getting enough attention, my first plea would be to make sure that any visitors you have dont ignore your older child!! Ive seen that happen and it caused major tantrums!! As long as you and everyone else involve your older one you should be fine, there might be some jealousy but thats normal.

And as my current boss who has 2children aged 3 and 1 says " some days I might prefer one to the other if one is being difficult but the next day it will probably be the other one i like more and I will always love them both just the same no matter what they do!"

So just try to enjoy your pregnancy and not worry too much, you'll be fine and so will any other children you have. It doesnt take a child long to forget that they were the only one around before anyway, the little boy I look after wouldnt be without his little sister now and Im sure yours will be the same. Hope this helps a bit :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back