Enid Blyton

beanie said:
I think it is always helpful to remember that just because you don't find somethig offensive doesn't mean that no-one else will. Joking around as using these derogatory names as a joke is just as offensive and it is never ok to use them. People go on about being called whitey - as far as I am aware the term whitey does not have the history of oppression and brutality that the terms coloured and nigger have. To compare the two is ridiculous. A bit of knowledge goes a long way, and if people could understand the significance of why some terms are seen as wrong, perhaps we wouldn't have to have the PC brigade coming down on us :think:

WELL SAID!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Noor~ul~Usman said:
Like you say though a lot of it is personal interpretation. Like for instance....when our kid asks.....he's half-cast! Not multi-cultural or multi-racial :evil: Half-cast wasn't considered offensive (as far as I was aware) until recently and I really don't see the need to use a different term for it (unless someone who's sensetive specifically asks you to) :shakehead:
I must admit that although I wouldn't consider myself racist and have a lot of asian friends - I did grow up in a family with "how many paki's can you fit in a mini" type jokes :oops: :shhh: And it was never meant maliciously it was just that some of the things they did as a culture and some of the names seemed really funny....but we didn't really have anything against them as people at all!

The old PC arguement is one that raises it's ugly head every now and again, but it's not the subject of this thread, so can we stay on topic please.

As Beanie (so eloquently as always) said the bottom line is it's not up to individuals to decide what's offensive to others. The best we can do is use what are deemed by society as appropriate terms; ie mixed race, NOT half cast.

Anyway, Enid Blyton.................................. :wink:

Who actually owns any of her books? Which ones have you got?

Minxy said:

:wave: Me! i have pretty much all the orignals in my mum's loft gathering dust... am really looking forward to opening the boxes- I LOVE the smell of old books :D :D :D :D

Ooh, the hardback style? About A5 size? They were my faves.

I love 'The Naughtiest Girl in School' :)

Minxy said:
Ooh, the hardback style? About A5 size? They were my faves.

some of them-they tend to hold together a bit more than the paperbacks... my st claire's books are in 5 different pieces I swear and you have to re-arrange them by page number! I literally read them to death! :lol:

Minxy said:
Noor~ul~Usman said:
Like you say though a lot of it is personal interpretation. Like for instance....when our kid asks.....he's half-cast! Not multi-cultural or multi-racial :evil: Half-cast wasn't considered offensive (as far as I was aware) until recently and I really don't see the need to use a different term for it (unless someone who's sensetive specifically asks you to) :shakehead:
I must admit that although I wouldn't consider myself racist and have a lot of asian friends - I did grow up in a family with "how many paki's can you fit in a mini" type jokes :oops: :shhh: And it was never meant maliciously it was just that some of the things they did as a culture and some of the names seemed really funny....but we didn't really have anything against them as people at all!

The old PC arguement is one that raises it's ugly head every now and again, but it's not the subject of this thread, so can we stay on topic please.

As Beanie (so eloquently as always) said the bottom line is it's not up to individuals to decide what's offensive to others. The best we can do is use what are deemed by society as appropriate terms; ie mixed race, NOT half cast.

Anyway, Enid Blyton.................................. :wink:

I thought this thread was about PC and how these books aren't appropriate anymore? Otherwise we are not answering the original question? :think:

I only asked about whether you would read them to your children or if you thought they were OUTDATED.

I didn't mean politically correct at all- I know they aren't PC but in this case it wouldn't stop me reading them to Evie

:D

I used to dream about going to boarding school because of Enid Blyton :) I just liked the idea of midnight feasts! :rotfl:

Jade&Evie said:
I only asked about whether you would read them to your children or if you thought they were OUTDATED.

I didn't mean politically correct at all- I know they aren't PC but in this case it wouldn't stop me reading them to Evie

I used to dream about going to boarding school because of Enid Blyton :) I just liked the idea of midnight feasts! :rotfl:

you asked about them being sexist and racist didn't you?? :think: doesn't take much to confuse me these days

I would definately read them to Aimee. I grew up reading them and I loved them. I would actually read them myself again! :dance:

beanie said:
Jade&Evie said:

you asked about them being sexist and racist didn't you?? :think: doesn't take much to confuse me these days

nope! I said someone had said to me they were sexist and sacist... I didn't ask because I didn't want to open a PC debate.... :doh: Dammit!

Jade&Evie said:
beanie said:
[quote="Jade&Evie":2wh849ie]I only asked about whether you would read them to your children or if you thought they were OUTDATED.

nope! I said someone had said to me they were sexist and sacist... I didn't ask because I didn't want to open a PC debate.... :doh: Dammit![/quote:2wh849ie]

you've been a member here for ages...you know how it works - you post something,it goes off on a tangent ;) :rotfl:

LOL who just went back and read her first post?

*raises hand*

these threads annoy me because you can never say your opinion and discuss things openly, theres always a feeling of - you can't say that - or thats a different point altogether so we need another thread for that - why can't we just talk about it??

Next thing we know is, a moderator has blocked it and thats it over :wall:

ShineyHappyPeople said:

any examples of this? we've actaully had some hard core debates here, only when personal insults start flying do mods step in, that or when people break the rules (which weren't written by me)

Urchin said:
ShineyHappyPeople said:

any examples of this? we've actaully had some hard core debates here, only when personal insults start flying do mods step in.

Yes but we can't talk about that here.

so your saying there are certain topics we can't have a debate about? :think:

Urchin said:

No i'm just saying that when a thread starts to look at other related issues and starst to move in a direction direction, theres a sense of.. whats a minute, thats not what this thread if about, lets get back to the question and there never seems to be a good outcome or conclusion becase we have to hold back on your thoughts becuase they are wider than the original question. Know what I mean?

I really really don't want to ruin this thread or god forbid, change the the topic..im only saying my little thoughts... sorry I dont mean to be a pain.

ShineyHappyPeople said:
Urchin said:

No i'm just saying that when a thread starts to look at other related issues and starst to move in a direction direction, theres a sense of.. whats a minute, thats not what this thread if about, lets get back to the question and there never seems to be a good outcome or conclusion becase we have to hold back on your thoughts becuase they are wider than the original question. Know what I mean?

I really really don't want to ruin this thread or god forbid, change the the topic..im only saying my little thoughts... sorry I dont mean to be a pain.

but sometimes the OP wanted a certain topic discussed and other topics (like our little debate here :oops: ) take away focus from the original post/question.

you could always make a new thread if it bothers you ;)

aaaanyway... back to Enid

Urchin, that Agatha Christie cover you just posted, well I had that book a long time ago, but I admit at the time I took no notice of the cover or title. Times have changed and it now would not have a place on my bookshelf as I think it is very insulting.

Can I just add that I used to have a black baby doll when I was little and it was lovely to see a little white girl with the same the other day in the supermarket.

To be honest all this black person/white person business actually gets right on my nerves, we are all just people in my eyes good and bad! :)

Anyway back on subject, I really liked Enid Blyton books and will read them to Daniel when he's older :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back