appropriate?

Hellokitty said:
I think you've got it all wrong.

How are children supposed to learn what is wrong and what is right unless you show them examples of that behaviour?

The whole point of stories like this and other 'classics' is to teach kids about Morals etc.

I would be happy to read it to Maia, but its a personal choice at the end of the day and if your uncomfortable about it then don't.

But thats exactly why we are discussing it, to share our personnal choices and opinions. I've found the books I prefer not to read to Isaac are the ones which mention being scared of the dark (he's not so why even put the idea into his head?) the ones which try and teach some moral lesson about colour (Isaac is part of a mixed race family, he doesn't need a book to put racist ideas into his head or teach him that some people are racist) and he also has one book which mentions burglars which If someone had read to me as a little child would have made me a nervous wreck. Isaac is 2. He has plenty of time to grow up and learn how horrible the world can be so for now I want him to be innocent and not have a care or worry in the world. Thats what being a child is all about isn't it????????

I also wanted to mention a book I saw recently at playgroup. It was the Good samaritan. I read it and was shocked to see it contained words like "hate" and said things like " samaritans were despised by imigrants". How awful!!! and this is what kids at sunday school read!!! If thats what churches teach kids then I'm glad we aren't religious :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back