Enid Blyton

i loved the faraway tree books :) this thread reminded me of them and i went and got my copies from mums today :D fab!! :cheer:

oh and yes i would read them to aiden, didn't do me any harm - i never thought anything of the character fanny who had a cousin dick :lol:

OMG JADE! I always wanted midnight feasts and I ALWAYS wanted to go to mallory towers - or boarding school in general!!

Steelgoddess said:
hennaly said:
I have 2 redheaded children (well 18 and 14) and they are always called gingers but it doesnt bother any of us and i get refered to as blonde bimbo alot but i really dont care now if we were all politically correct this shouldnt be allowed.
I have to agree some terms are not nice and if i ever heard any of mine using them they would get soap in the mouth, i do think terms like nigger etc are derogitory but calling someone black i see as ok, maybe im wrong but i get refered to as white not pinky white.

It depends on how it is said and in what context...

Its this type of thing that ppl go to court over because ppl are just too ignorant to see when something is said in the wrong or right way... Whether it bothers the person is by the by...

Most likely why the "senior" staff pulled you up because "if" "Betty" had lodged a complaint well where would everyone stand then?

I see what you are saying, it wasnt Betty that said anything but my area manager heard me say it one day when she asked which Betty i was refering to and told me i wasnt to call her that so out of respect i asked Betty what the correct unofensive term was and she said 'black, as thats what i am'.
The bottom line is, if someone is offended by any term used then it shouldnt be used, it would personally bother me more that i had upset someone rather than if it is politically correct.

FFS! This isn't a debate about political correctness- if you want to debate over what is/isn't PC go and make your own thread... I only want to talk about Enid Blyton! :x

I loved all of the Enid Blyton books when i was growing up. They really sparked my imagination, although they probably also made me borderline overweight cos the kids in her book ate so much food and it was sooo descriptive that I would always end up starving and have to nip downstairs for a packet of crisps to eat whilst I read it!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

I have always loved creative writing and excelled in school in English etc and I have to attribute part of that to my love of Ms Blyton and The Magic Faraway Tree, Secret Seven, Famous 5 etc. I think they are so amazing at sparking a childs imagination - normal kids in extraordinary circumstances - I think thats the key to her success and why I would definitely want my kids to read her books. Its pure escapism for kids.

As for the racist element, when I was a kid I was fortunate enough not to be exposed to that sort of thing and just read the books innocently and enjoyed the stories. I never really thought about the fact that one of the kids was called Fatty, or that there was a dog called Nigger in one of her stories. Looking back now I do find it a little eye opening and where as my mum never pointed these things out to me, I probably would talk to James and Pumpkin about it if I felt that it may influence them negatively. I think these things are a lot more prevalent in todays society than when I grew up. In my opinion, its up to me to educate my children appropriately so that they can enjoy such literature for what it is - good imaginative stories. Its down to my parenting skills to make sure that they are not racist / sexist etc etc but that they are well educated and rounded individuals. I think that banning certain books potentially inhibits that growth. What better way to teach a child how times have changed and about things like racism etc than discussing those elements within books, whilst still being able to enjoy the story?

On a lighter note... I was remembering last night how my Grandad used to pretend to hear like the saucepan man and I used to find it hilarious! :rotfl:

:shhh: Now he does hear like Saucepan Man.... only I'm not allowed to laugh at him! :roll: :lol:

I voted NO, I find Enid Blyton's ramblings immensely offensive

I don't think I have ever read any of them :oops:

I did have a cuddly golly-wog (sp?) when I was little tho and never thought anything of it :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back