Electricity rant!

russellmuscle

Reaction score
So as some might know, we have just moved down stairs to our neighbour/friends flat.

I had gas and electricity before but now this house is just electricity.

Our neighbour had gotten a pay as you go meter in and had put £25 to start us off and that was fine. That £25 lasted us a week so we thought that was reasonable since the heating etc is electricity.

Now over the past 2 weeks the electricity is getting swallowed. I have put £80 in and only been here 3 weeks, I only just got my dryer and fridge last week hadn't done much washings due to no dryer yet so I asked my landlord/friend and he was like oh I don't know how that is.

Now yesterday I put in £10 to see how it went, was beeping this morning, down to emergency again!!!! I phoned Scottish power today and explained and they says it sounds as if there has been a debt left on the machine. I took without thinkin because it had been new meter and key put in.

So now I am getting money back and my account for this place but I don't know what to say to my landlord? I think if I mention again he will act as if he wasn't aware, but how could he not be aware as they apparently agree to discount the meter at a rate agreed until the debt is owed. I was thinkin of waiting until he gets his bill and if he mentions to me why I changed the card I can then say well because I was paying off your bill and confront him.

I don't know whether to be annoyed? He acted as if that was just the going rate as normal. £5 a day for sky tv broadband and lighting is kicking the ball out i even turned off all heaters! but as I said I'm used to having gas and elec so didn't really know any diff!

How much are you guys that pay as you go roughly a week as I have no clue now?

Xxxxxx

I have no idea how the PAYG meters work or how much they cost, but I only had electricity before and I was paying £134 a month. Now I've got gas and electricity, and I am paying £54 a month for both.

Last edited:
I used to be 20 a week when I had gas and elec that was a payg meter but I assumed it would go up as we wouldn't be using gas but it seems I've been paying his bill so hopefully it greatly reduces. I'd expect to pay like 40 a week if I had dryers etc all on but none of this was on lol that's how I figured out xxxxx

I think payg is a lot more expensive than paying by direct debit. Could you not change it back? I only pay £55 a month for both gas and electric.
That's naughty of your landlord to ignore the debt outstanding, I wouldn't mention it until he says something. Afterall he didn't tell you the truth x

That's what I thought about doin mrswoody. I think if he is making out he doesn't know why its charging me he would just deniy knowing that they were taking his debt from my money. So if he then comes to moan that I've set up my own account I can say well because I was charged your bill!

How could he not know he owes them money? And my mum says that's why they put in one of those meters to obtain the money back garanteed. So I'm guessing he's knew?

It doesn't affect me now theyv set up my own account they will just send him a one off bill of what he owes. And the rate theyv been taking it off me I doubt its a small bill xxxxx

Last edited:
we put £30 a fortnight on electric and £20 a fortnight on gas at the moment. we only use the gas for heating and hot water, reat is run on electric, we have a 2 bedroom house. we have the washing machine and dryer on constantly and have reptiles so there heating and lights are on for 14 hours a day.

I don't have a PAYG meter I have a billed meter but I've just worked out our bill works out as the equivalent of £24 a week x

we used to be on it with electric supply only, no gas used, so we paid around £60 per month spring/summer/autumn and £120 during winter due to british gas raising prices!!! we used heating, tv, laptops, washing machine, dryer etc all year around same (even heaters were same all year) and been paying twice as much in the winter only due to higher prices. I'd switch to dd if you can as on the smart meters you can pay even 100% more per kwH than on dd, for example we've been paying to british gas 35p per kwH day tariff and 20p night and now on dd with spark energy we pay 17p in the day and 5p per kwH at night, it's just pointless to pay twice as much for same energy used and on dd they can only debit what you agree to over the phone so there is no way they would charge you if there is any debt done already x

We are just electric payg. Usually about £20 a week bit with the nice weather the heating hasn't been on for a couple of weeks so its been roughly £ 10 a week xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back