ECV?

frances2009

Reaction score
I've just had a scan at nearly 35 weeks and my baby is still breech. I have to go and see the consultant again in 2 weeks to check the position and if still breech, an ECV will be booked for 3 weeks and if that is unsuccessful a c-section will be booked for 4 weeks.

The consultant said there was nothing I can do in the mean time to help the baby turn.

The consultant said 50/50 success rate and seemed to imply the risks are very low. I have heard about people refusing it though...

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of ECV good or bad? I have read/heard mixed reviews.

baby can turn head down any time up to 37 weeks so it could still happen naturally. Not true that theres nothing you can do though, bloomin doctors. Have a look at this website...

http://www.spinningbabies.com/

Your doctor sounds very negative - have a look at website above - its helped to turn many babes on here x I have also read things about turning babes using the hypno technique - might be worth taking a look at their website too x

We've got to go in for an ECV tomorrow morning as our baby has been breech since 34 weeks now. They normally do them around 37 weeks, our's is at 36 as our baby's measuring approx 1-2lb more than the 'average' baby! So they say! lol!
I've heard mixed reviews about them. I read somewhere of a lady who had an epidural when she had hers! :shock: If you have a look on youtube the woman look very calm and relaxed when they have theirs done though so... I also spoke to my consultant about whether or not it's painful and she explained that they only try and aid the baby into turning and that they don't put too much pressure or force into it as there would be a chance of hurting baby. She explained it can be uncomfortable but not painful!
I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow anyway - Our baby keeps switching sides still, sometimes his/her back runs down my left side and other times down my right so I think it all depends on the individual as to how late in pregnancy they can turn :roll: lol! Xx

Ok that would be great if you could let me know you get on. I'm booked to have it done at 38 weeks so hopefully baby not too big!

Good luck and really hope your baby turns for you.

Im also going to be booked in for 1 of these if baby isnt turned head down next week (36weeks) but i dont know when i would be having one but got told by the midwife 38weeks is too late to have 1! But my baby is bigger then average too. But he keeps going head down, then head up etc etc, Your baby still has time to turn and aslong as they have turned by your consultant appt then it will be fine :) x

Is so frustrating that all doctors/midwives etc seem to tell you different things!

At my hospital, standard to have ECV at 38 weeks (my baby is measuring larger than average too) and they said that they would even do it up until 40+ weeks (sometimes try if you are in labour and the baby is still breech).

Ooh seems your hospital has a more relaxed view on it! I think tasha89 said if it doesnt work her hospital would try again but my hospital wont, but the man who does them here has a very high success rate so guess if it doesnt work then the baby just doesnt want to turn x

Ooh seems your hospital has a more relaxed view on it! I think tasha89 said if it doesnt work her hospital would try again but my hospital wont, but the man who does them here has a very high success rate so guess if it doesnt work then the baby just doesnt want to turn x

Yeah they'll do it twice at our hospital - if they have to do it a second time i'll be begging them to induce me right after! lol!

Sometimes it depends on the shape of your womb, sometimes it's comfier for baby to be in a breech position. Bit of a kick in the teeth for us though as at EVERY scan and MW visit until 34 weeks, baby has been head down! Grrrrr! We'll see as of tomorrow, baby's been wriggling like a good 'un today so hopefully he/she has seen the light and switched all by his/herself! I'd be ever so proud! lol! Xx

I was offered ECV but refused. I didnt want to put my baby through the trauma or being yarked about. I'd rather have had a breech delivery or a planned section at a push. The prep you for theatre at my hospital because there's a chance the baby may end up distressed in which case they'd do an emergency section which is why they wait till 37 wks here.

Yeah, I was worried about that too MM. The doc that's doing mine seems to have a really chilled out attitude towards it all. I asked loads of questions about both mine and baby's health. She said that she gently helps the baby turn, there's no massive forcing involved. And if baby gets stressed they stop immediately, they try and move baby for no longer than 1 minute a time and only try a couple of times. She also said in her 14 years of doing them she's only seen two ladies need emergency sections so i'm feeling pretty confident with her. Still packing my hospital bag tonight just in case! Lol!
I shall let you know of my experience tomorrow! Xx

hope all goes well tomorrow Tasha :hug:

Thanks Lise! I'll give you all the low down tomorrow sometime! If, god forbid, anything happens then Ria's got me number so i'll get in touch with her asap :) xxx

i was offered ecv but refused. I didnt want to put my baby through the trauma or being yarked about. I'd rather have had a breech delivery or a planned section at a push. The prep you for theatre at my hospital because there's a chance the baby may end up distressed in which case they'd do an emergency section which is why they wait till 37 wks here.

gulp

i was offered ecv but refused. I didnt want to put my baby through the trauma or being yarked about. I'd rather have had a breech delivery or a planned section at a push. The prep you for theatre at my hospital because there's a chance the baby may end up distressed in which case they'd do an emergency section which is why they wait till 37 wks here.

gulp

dont be gulping you.....your LO will be head down in the next week....I'm going to give them a good talking to :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back