Eating better & Eggs

tweetyfoo

Reaction score
So .. my go to healthy breakfast to fill me up for the day has always been runny poached eggs on toast, and I miss them.

I don't like scrambled eggs :sick:

So today I experimented with hard boiled eggs on toast. Took me a while to figure out the timings but generally established that an 8 minute egg was perfect.

Not the same as runny eggs of course - a little it drier. But the 8 minute egg was still dark yellow and jelly like - but cooked ... so :yay:

Its the little things really!

I have vowed to eat better, my diet has been rubbish, because I'm genuinely hungry all the time, I figure its because I'm not eating the right things.

So I'm contemplating giving up chocolate & crisps (chocolate will be easy) and sticking to healthy meals and snacks.

I just have to start being more prepared ... and start buying groceries again :shock:

I love Omelette hun - that's the only way I actually eat eggs...

I make a mean omelette as well :dance:

My eating habits have been OK, there has been a little more junk (as I am not drinking I figure I need a little treat here and there??)

I always have a big salad or a few types of veg with dinner BUT I am find it difficult to to factor in salad / veg in the daytime [I am not a huge fan of fruit :shock:]. In the daytime I am having toast for breakkie, mini oatcakes or rice cakes and humous for snacks and a sarnie for lunch?? Not very varied...

I am having a jacket spud for lunch today though - with cheese and beans!

xxxxxxxxx

I love Omelette hun - that's the only way I actually eat eggs...

I make a mean omelette as well :dance:

My eating habits have been OK, there has been a little more junk (as I am not drinking I figure I need a little treat here and there??)

I always have a big salad or a few types of veg with dinner BUT I am find it difficult to to factor in salad / veg in the daytime [I am not a huge fan of fruit :shock:]. In the daytime I am having toast for breakkie, mini oatcakes or rice cakes and humous for snacks and a sarnie for lunch?? Not very varied...

I am having a jacket spud for lunch today though - with cheese and beans!

xxxxxxxxx

I've never had an omelette .. .I know I've lived a sheltered life.

My family are all very fussy eaters, so I had to discover food at the grand old age of 24! And I've always wanted to try one, but just never bothered making it ... will you make me one .. :lol:

I'm having spicy parsnip soup and french stick for lunch today and chilli for dinner tonight, I've got some yoghurts and fruit and cheesy snacks for during the day too ... and I'll make some ham rolls in case I get overly hungry like yesterday - I was bloody hollow!

I've never had an omelette .. .I know I've lived a sheltered life.

My family are all very fussy eaters, so I had to discover food at the grand old age of 24! And I've always wanted to try one, but just never bothered making it ... will you make me one .. :lol:

I'm having spicy parsnip soup and french stick for lunch today and chilli for dinner tonight, I've got some yoghurts and fruit and cheesy snacks for during the day too ... and I'll make some ham rolls in case I get overly hungry like yesterday - I was bloody hollow!

LOL - I made my first ever Omelette about 6 months ago (aged 31 :shock: :shock:)

I didn't know I liked them but we only had eggs in and I couldn't be arsed to go out.... I Googled Delia's Smiths recipe (so simple) and we've had Omelettes almost every weekend ever since :roll:

Tonight I have homemade mini pork meatballs, pasta and salad...

Looking forward to my jacket spud!!

xxxxxxx

Ooh I'm having omelette tonight! You need to try them tweety they're yum :) really good for using up leftovers too, as you can literally chuck whatever bits you have in the fridge in them, cooked ham peppers tomatoes onion cheese mushrooms etc etc so you get some veg in there too.

I'm having a ham sandwich on wholemeal bread (well 2 actually but the bread is tiny!) With a big green salad of lettuce and tomatoes and a glass of cranberry juice for my lunch :) then taking a bag of apple and grapes and an orange back to work. I'm trying so hard to get 5-a-day of fruit and veg as I ate a lot of crap for the first few weeks of pregnancy, I just seemed to want mcdonalds and pizza! So making a real effort now to eat healthily. Although I am having a bowl of frosties for breakfast every day which is very naughty! I might try scrambled egg on toast tomorrow, that sounds much healthier :)

Carnat - have you tried smoothies if you don't really like whole fruit? Or fruit chopped into little pieces stirred into yogurt? You've made me want a jacket potato and/or pasta with meatballs now!

God I could talk about food all day, I cannot stop eating!!! X

Jacket spud was yum!!!

I do like some fruits but sadly I like the expensive / exotic fruits... I can't face plain old apples and pears.

I love pomegranates seeds, strawberries [roll on strawberry season], pineapple, kiwi's...

I will have a massive side salad later though - rocket, radishes, red pepper. red onion, cherry tomatoes and cucumber! Yummy!

xxxxxxxxxx

All this talk of food makes me hungry! CARNAT you need to teach me how to make an omelette, I am a good little chef but can not master these for the life of me! Always turns into scrambled egg with cheese and whatever else I've thrown in! :(

How do you know if scrambled eggs are cooked enough? I need my mum!
I love omelettes as well, although you lot sound like you make them a lot better than me! I'm fussy though and only throw a bit of ham in :) xxx

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/eggs/how-to-make-an-omelette.html

Although this overcomplicates it a little !!

I only have Red Leciester in mine but I basically take 2 large eggs, season, stir a little with fork and grate in my cheese.... (OH gets all sorts in his!!)

In the meantime I heat up some olive oil and a little butter in a pan and whack it on high as soon as my eggs are ready. The I pour mix in and do for about 90 seconds - 2 minutes on each side (I don't fold mine)

Sorted!!

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Lol love our posts. They are mainly about:

1. What we are all scoffing or want to scoff.
2. Being scared about baby's well being, lack of symptoms etc etc
3. Moaning about our symptoms.

I normally have a ham omelette.
I had scrambled egg on toast this morning, I just make sure its cooked through and not runny.

I really need to eat more fruit and veg.

Lol love our posts. They are mainly about:

1. What we are all scoffing or want to scoff.
2. Being scared about baby's well being, lack of symptoms etc etc
3. Moaning about our symptoms.

I love how we roll :)

Ps have had toast with ham for dinner, a pint of milk and some melon. Now I want an omelette. I can picture it now. Nom. I shall be good and brush my teeth so I won't eat any more food! Lol xx

My meatballs were ace, I did mine with new potatoes and salad (OH had his with pasta and salad!)

xxxxxx

I'm starving now. Want meatballs and omelette.

Also want to eat everything I've seen on masterchef so far xxx

Ps. CarNat I LOVE your ticker - it makes me smile :) xxx

Awww thanks EssJayPea......

I don't watch Masterchef as it makes me too bloody hungry :shock:

Same with most food programmes!

I've started day dreaming about tomorrow's food already :lol:

xxxxxxxxxx

:)

Hee hee. Me, too. I'm planning on omelette for tea. I work 10 1/2 hours tomorrow so need a quick lunch... Are birdseye potato waffles a fail? Sick of sandwiches. Ooh actually Heinz tomato soup might do the trick. (realise I have just typed out my inner monologue, sorry :) ) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will try an omelette on my days off :) Think I'll put mushrooms in mine as they are my favourite food.

Managed to not eat any crap yesterday - unless you count the two boiled sweets I ate (which I don't!)

I got these little toast & cheese things (in a tub like phili breadsticks & dip) not sure who makes them but they are totally awesome! Great little snack.

I had loads to eat, but it was all healthy - and quite a bit of fruit.

I was feeling all good about myself until hubby was telling me that my bump was getting big and then came out with

"remember you're not actually eating for two!"

I could have punched him! :cry:

Men are stupid ... and they smell

You girls are lucky I had my tonsils out begining of feb before I knew I was pregnant and I still struggle with eating since! I have been eating a lot of salad and fruit but still can't manage real food without it feeling uncomfortable. I think all I seem to watch now is food programmes masterchef,come dine with me,saturday kitchen etc and just fantasise about eating all that food. I do try and eat as much as poss though for the baby! Wish I'd never had my tonsils out worst op ever so painful maybe I won't be saying that after giving birth though?

I love a nice cheese & onion & bacon omelette - spanish omelette is gorg from the chippy nom nom.

It has bean sprouts loads of different meats in ( drool ) lol.

I miss a nice dippy runny egg - you dont miss somthing so bad untill you know you cant have it again lol.

If we was not pg we would not want a runny dippy egg as much as we do know & thats the same with prawns i love prawns & i wont attempt to eat them while pg even though loads still do - i wanted a nice prawn curry the other week & wanted it so bad. Had i of not been pg i would not of been that fussed as much as i was like week - it's because you know you cant have it you want it more & more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back