Eggs...

carlyr874

Reaction score
Now I know the advice is to avoid anything containing raw eggs and to ensure when cooking eggs that they are fully cooked. My understanding is that the reason for this advice is to avoid risk of salmonella..but...I have probably had poached egg on toast 3 or 4 times a week over the last I don't know how many years and never once got salmonella because of the runny yolk. Is everyone else avoiding runny yolk completely? It's just not the same having poached eggs that are over cooked and like rubber!!!

i didn't realise till quite late in my first pregnancy that there was a risk with runny eggs and I was having them all the time, I didn't encounter any problems. I beleive that if the egg has the red lion stamp on them there is no risk of salmonella. I'm not sure if there is any other risk from raw eggs though.

I wouldn't worry too much. When your pregnant you are given so many guidelines to stick to and the guidelines are changing all the time! In my first pregnancy you were aloud to drink one unit of alcohol a day, now they advise not to drink at all!

Yeah same here! It's 8 years since I was preggas with Holly and the 'rules' have changed quite a lot! I haven't touched a drop of alchohol since I found out but I prob will have a glass or 2 or wine further in to the pregnancy because I did with Holly and she turned out ok! and I am sure I ate eggs with runny yolks through being pregnant with her - I don't remember avoiding them at all!

i have completely avoided runny egg altogether although i really want one :(

i have had eggs with the yolk hard (like in a salad) but wouldnt have a runny egg - better to be safe hunny! :D

I LOVE runny eggs but ive not had any whilst being pg! :( i cant stand hard eggs :puke: so i am eating pancakes and omlettes so i still have eggs in my diet but dont need to taste the horrible rubbery taste!

i have to confess i still have poached egg with runny yolk but always cook the white properly but my advice would be to do what your midwife advises.

I have eating eggs that have runny yolks throughout my pregnancy so far but I always make sure the whites are cooked and the yolks aren't too runny if you what I mean. I'm of the same mindset that if if I've eaten runny eggs all my life and never gotten salmonella why would I get it now?

If you're wary though I would go with the advice of your midwife.

I was eating running eggs before i knew i was pregnant and didnt realize/ know about the dont eat eggs rule for weeks so i still eat them runny but only if i cook them myself not from places out. I always make sure that the white is cooked well as Hennaly has said about, i dont see the harm in eating them now and again aslong as i know they are cooked properly.
Also im sure ive read somewhere that the protein (or something similar that you need) from eggs is good x

I did read somewhere (on this forum I think) that UK eggs, such as those sold in the supermarket, are vaccinated against salmonella, so you only have to worry about farm eggs etc.

My midwife advised checking things were pasteurised and if they are it's ok. For e.g. I had a delicious creme brulee last night that was made from pasteurised raw egg. I also eat mayonnaise as usually it's made with pasteurised eggs. I haven't gone overboard with fully cooked eggs, I don't eat them really runny, but stop cooking before they are like rubber!

I have eaten a few runny eggs whilst being pregnant, but made sure the white was well cooked!!

When our little ones come to have children of their own, the rules will be completely different again..
Prolly wont be allowed to eat bread for a risk of wheat allergies or some such nonsense :roll:

I think most if not all eggs here are from chickens who have been inoculated anyway, at least my parents have chickens and they had their jabs and I bought some free range, freedom farm eggs the other day and noticed that it says inside the lid that they have had their jabs too.

+++

I haven't had runny eggs but more because I can never cook eggs right than anything :lol:

I think the things they advise us not to eat is pure overkill. Some of it has basis around fact and research but most of it is 'just in case' and after reading up on some things I just don't buy it.

I don't eat meat or like cheese so most of it doesn't affect me but have been eating nuts and now I want an egg and soldiers which I might attempt later!

Thanks for all your replies ladies - I feel reassured now that it's not just me being a rebel! I made poached eggs on toast for tea - just what I fancied except I accidentally overcooked them!! damn! they weren't like rubber but still! might have some more tomorrow! :)

Eggs in supermarkets are from hens vaccinated against salmonella so the risk is brought down by this factor. Its still not a sure fire thing but it does reduce the risk.

I ate runny eggs in pregnancy. Not every day but as an occasional treat.

I haven't avoided runny eggs at all, but having said that I've allowed myself a little of most things we're not supposed to eat throughout the pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back