Early Weaning Advice

KatysMummy

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been giving Katy a teaspoon of baby rice for the past week, and for those of you who weaned their LO's early I'm just wondering what you gave them for the first few weeks.

I want to take it slowly but I think she may get bored of baby rice soon if thats all I give her.

What did you introduce in the first few weeks and when???

Thanks, :)

i have never used baby rice.

i used rice pudding and porridge for a good 6 weeks then once Dior reached 4/5months i introduced other foods x

I started Jacob on baby rice but as you say they get bored with it quite quickly. So I tried him on rusks mixed with his milk then creamed oats porrage. He also loved egg custard, rice pudding... i then started him on veg in the afternoon... he loves carrot, sweet pot, parsnip... try stuff that do not taste too strong or bitter.

lauramumof2 said:
im using heinz oaty porridge and banana reakfast. :D

havent these got gluten in? I couldnt find any porriages without gluten xxxx

I boiled up and puree'd veggies and fruit. then froz them and just used a cube or 2 at a time

Keely said:
lauramumof2 said:
im using heinz oaty porridge and banana reakfast. :D

havent these got gluten in? I couldnt find any porriages without gluten xxxx

the oaty porridge says its got gluten in it but the banana one donesnt mention it. I tried him with sweet potato and beef tonight. He loved it for about 6 spoonfulls.

Max was a nightmare with reflux and suffered with his weight, so i started him early on mashed up veg, although never used a blender or anything, just mashed with a fork!!

He couldnt eat any jar food or packets as they just made him sick so started straight with boiled and smashed veg or fruit!

Natalie x

i couldn't find any porridge without gluten either. I've got a box at the ready for when Isaac is 6 months.

Thanks all - shes still loving the baby rice at the moment, but i've now got a huge supply of pureed fruit & veg cubes in the freezer!!

Hi Hun

I'm sure you've been asked this a billion times already so please feel free to butt out! But is there a reason you're weaning so early? Have you spoken to HV about it?

Glad you're getting on OK with rice - that's what I started with. But I didn't introduce vegetables until Maddie was over 5 months because my HV told me their bodys weren't able to digest solids earlier than that! But then my HV told me a lot of things that turned out to be utter crap...........hmmmm.........

Katy's looking very cute by the way!

LBxx

Thanks hun!! :)

Have started giving her baby rice as she has not been gaining weight as she should be. My HV suggested supplementing her with formula as she already has one formula feed a day, but she basically doesnt take much from the bottle or the breast these last few weeks. I'm now weaning her off the breast & onto formula & keeping on with the baby rice. I probably wont give her anything else this early, having researched it I will hold off as long as possible.

She certainly seems happier & more content now :D

littlebump said:
Hi Hun

I'm sure you've been asked this a billion times already so please feel free to butt out! But is there a reason you're weaning so early? Have you spoken to HV about it?

Glad you're getting on OK with rice - that's what I started with. But I didn't introduce vegetables until Maddie was over 5 months because my HV told me their bodys weren't able to digest solids earlier than that! But then my HV told me a lot of things that turned out to be utter crap...........hmmmm.........

Katy's looking very cute by the way!

LBxx

You shouldn't feel bad for asking questions such as this.
I have noticed there seem to be loads of people weaning early on the forum at the moment and I'm getting abit worried it will be seen as "the norm" to start this early when it is definitley not recommended. Milk should still be the most important meal until a child is much older.

i started Colby on baby rice when she was just turning 4 months. i would only make one tea spoonfull up and waterd right down with milk so it got her used to a spoon.
We had problems with adele and i done it by the book with her( didnt start till 6 months and shes now 4 and still dont eat much lump things, not saying its anything to do with the way HV tell you to do it but i just wish i had got her used to it first.)
Colbys been great, she loves all sorts of foods and i personally think its because we started her that little bit early
maybe im wrong just the way i done it :D

xxxxxx

I really didnt want to start weaning early, but with Max being sick ALL day with his milk i had no choice, i gave him a little something before his milk not instead of, just so he could keep something down, it worked most of the time and he did finally start to gain weight instead of losing it!

I read in the Annabell karmel book that a babies body is ready for food at 17 weeks, the only reason they are suggesting 6 months now is because of Allergies. But if you stick to root veg, apple, pear, banana and baby rice, this shouldnt be a problem.

xxxxx

I gave jaycee her formula mixed with rusks in a small bowl. Also gave her plain baby rice at 3.5 months, then went to flavoured. She liked summer fruits best! :)

U cant go wrong with pureed fruit! Kids love it! I introduced a wide range from 6 months onward so she could get a taste for everything. She loves everything now! I cant think of anything she doesnt like :think: Shes not 100% with milk chocolate which is a good thing! I never give it to her but u know what aunties and uncles are like when ur back's turned :roll:
Oh she didnt like my angel delight! I made the raspberry one today and she had a taste and didnt like it.
She LOVES all fruit tho. And veg. apart from brussels but what kid does?? She loves boiled cabbage like her mummy!! And she loves munching on carrot sticks:D

So angel delight and sprouts she doesnt like lol :lol:

I like the fact that you can change the happy meal chips to a fruit bag or carrot sticks! Much better!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back